perl vrs python

Discussion in 'Python' started by kingportipher, Mar 30, 2012.

1. kingportipher

kingportipher New Member

am soo confused and dont know about which of the two languages to learn. any way i want to be more of a website developer and a little of hacking. but dont know exactly what language to start with and links to where to find some valuable tutorials

2. dearvivekkumar

dearvivekkumar New Member

I think if you are sure about doing things mostly related with web programming then you should go with Ruby rather than Python.

3. Louis Zorbas

Louis Zorbas New Member

I like and use both, few quick points:

Python:
    • Python is easier to learn, Perl takes a while to get used to and is not intuitive. Perl is great, if you already know it.
    • I use Python for writing reusable code. I personally think OO in Perl is a little odd, and find Python to be more consistent. For example, I find it easier to create modules in Python.
    Perl:
    • I use Perl to write quick scripts using regular expressions, to perform text/data manipulations. If there is anything Perl can do well, it is string manipulations.I like and use both, few quick points.
    • Perl scripts are often messy (it takes me a while to understand my own scripts), whereas, Python is very clean.
    I can't think of anything that you can do with Perl that you can't with Python. If I were you, I'd stick with Python.

4. MarshallN

MarshallN New Member

5. JohnAdams

JohnAdams Member

Perl is a dynamic programming language. It is used for graphical programming. It is also applied in network programming, bioinformatics and finance. Python is free and open-source. It is object-oriented programming language. It is used in functional and procedural programming.
    • Python is easier to learn but Perl takes a while to get used to and is not intuitive.
    • You can use Perl to write quick scripts using regular expressions, to perform text/data manipulations. If there is anything Perl can do well, it is string manipulations.
    • I use Python for writing reusable code and it is easier to create modules in Python.
    • Perl scripts are often messy and takes time to understand the script but Python is very clean.

6. persysweb

persysweb Member

Home Page:
    httpS://persys.in/
    Python -
    1. Python has the clearer syntax than the perl. It is object oriented system with modern and consistent libraries.
    2. Python code are easy to read than the perl.
    3. Python has the big communities which has the number of experts who can help you to resolve your issues.

Perl -
    1. Perl is quite confusing and difficult to understand.
    2. Perl is old approach of scripting.
    3. Perl is harder to handle and debug.
    4. Perl has traditional approach of opening and closing braces which is not there in Python.
    5. Perl has the many modules which you can use.

So conclusion is, Python is good for the beginner and for the basic designs. When you want to go in complexity then go with Perl.

shabbir likes this.
  7. meenal deshpande

meenal deshpande New Member

If you are confident about the web pramming then i would suggest ruby rather than python because ruby is related to Rails web framework