What is the best OS for a web server like youtube's???

Nate_JP's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2011
Newbie Member
Hi, I am incredibly new to any sort of programming etc, I have to make a server for website.
the site will be very similar to youtube in so much as the server will need to store allot of video content.
I would be very grateful for ANY suggestions, including links
Thank you.
Nate_JP's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2011
Newbie Member
PS
I have spent days trying to research this i just can't find specifics that don't involve hiring a company to it for me
Scripting's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2010
John Hoder
As I understood, you want to make ur own server, then I suggest you to use *NIX (Linux), or maybe MS Windows Server 2003, (casually 2008).
hanleyhansen's Avatar, Join Date: Jan 2008
Pro contributor
Youtube uses a custom content management system tweaked to perfection by their own guys. You should check out ostube or phpmotion. Those are two youtube-like cms that might give you what you are looking for.
ali_1's Avatar, Join Date: Sep 2011
Newbie Member
how to make sure you are on the right web server ?
Scripting's Avatar, Join Date: Jun 2010
John Hoder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_1 View Post
how to make sure you are on the right web server ?
Use ping command and get the server's IP address and then access the site through that IP address. Cheerz!
ali_1's Avatar, Join Date: Sep 2011
Newbie Member
will I be surely on right server by accessing the site through its Ip and will not be redirected else where ?
I think I am hacked from the inside ,lol anyways
Banned
i suggest you for LINUX ...but it will I be surely on right server by accessing the site through its Ip and will not be redirected else where ?
Banned
for a web server i suggested you for LINUX ..it is best operating server than another ...
lionaneesh's Avatar, Join Date: Mar 2010
Invasive contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_JP View Post
Hi, I am incredibly new to any sort of programming etc, I have to make a server for website.
the site will be very similar to youtube in so much as the server will need to store allot of video content.
I would be very grateful for ANY suggestions, including links
Thank you.
Basically Your need is a GOOD Web-server which can simultaneously handle tons of requests , So OS is only one factor of it!

I would recommend Apache on a Cent - OS or any GOOD linux Distribution which u feel comfortable on!