operating system tutorial

Discussion in 'Windows' started by skp819, Jun 2, 2009.

1. skp819

skp819 New Member

Hello friends, I want to learn operating system designing. But I do not know about it. Form where I should start. I want to know that which programming languages are required for operating system designing. Can any one suggest me any good operating system tutorial.

thanks in advance for this help

2. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    Creating an operating system is tougher than creating an antivirus. It needs lots and lots of things. U cannot do it as a single person. Form a group and divide the task. You need to know about a lot of things. Read the book OPERATING SYSTEMS. U can find it quite easily. If not PM me, i'll help u. Then learn about the concepts of OS, its operation, working etc etc. u have to learn about kernel, how it communicates with the processor. The best OS type u can create of ur own is linux. U can start with creating small distros like puppy and DSL. Google using the keyword 'writing a linux kernel' and also with other keywords in order to get enough info's. If i find any useful link, i'l update this thread.

3. mayjune

mayjune New Member

Student
    use demonoid.com, you will find lot of ebooks there and even tutorials (search operating system),
    if you need reg code, let me know...
    also checkout NPTEL by IIT, they have videos on OS lectures, it'll give you the basics of it
    also as much as i have heard, get your C prog to advance level, it will form your basics of other lang if needed..

4. fob500

fob500 New Member

Well If you are planning to design your OS,It is tough but surely it's not impossible.I'l suggest that you try understanding the working an existing OS first .For e.g Linux for this you will have to know C.
    Also to get a hang of things I suggest you visit http://www.linuxfromscratch.org .This helps you build your own customized Linux OS by linking all parts together one by one.So this would help you to give a very good understanding of how all components in an OS are fitted together.