Newbie Question: Is what I am trying to do possible?

Discussion in 'JavaScript and AJAX' started by djg_1, Sep 6, 2006.

1. djg_1

djg_1 New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (and also to JavaScript!) so apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong place. Feel free to correct me if I am at fault.

I am trying to track the path of sparks that come out of a welding process and have taken movies using a high-speed camera. I was advised to track the sparks by taping a sheet of clear plastic to my monitor and advancing frame by frame but surely there has to be a better way???

Here is what I done so far... I have written some code to embed the movie player in a html document. I also have written code so that the X,Y coordiantes corresponding to the position of the mouse are displayed at the bottom of the screen. Now, the next step puzzles me.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to click on the spark and hence be able to write the X,Y co-ordinate into a program such as excel (i.e. I would like to advance the movie frame by frame, clicking on the position of the spark in each frame and hence generate a file containing information about the trajectory of the spark).

I think my question can be summarised as follows:

Is it possible to write a program in JavaScript which will input data into an excel file?

I understand that ActiveX control etc may be required. Any advice/tips/links to information would be much appreciated. Maybe I would be better advised to use a different programming language?

Thanking you in advance,

djg :)