New MIME types in IE

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by DeeDee, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DeeDee

DeeDee New Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to evaluate ways to start an RCP Application by clicking a link in a webbrowser. (Yes, I know that is a stupid idea and is basically against the point of webbrowsers, but our customer wants this, so what can I do?)..

I came up with the following ideas:
    - Have some activeX thingy start the application.. the disadvantage of activeX is obvious though
    - have some webserverlike thing running on the machine that will open the application when a link to that browser is used
    - Associate a filetype with the application and have the link be a link to a file of that type.

Right now I'm trying to build a prototype for the third idea...
    I have a link that looks something like this:

href="file.myending" type="myType/mySubType">click here to start application</a>

This worked find for firefox (it asked what application to open this file type with from now on, when I first clicked on the link, and worked fine ever after)

Here's my problem now:
    Unfortunately this needs to also work for Internet Explorer, and IE only lets me download the file. Once it's dowloaded it will let me open it and I registered the filetype with windows, so windows knows what application to use!..
    I need a way to get rid of the download dialog though. I searched the net and read something about Secure MIMETypeHandlers or something similar that either sounded like a lot of C programming or I just couldn't make much sense of. Does anyone know what I actually have to do to make this work for IE?

I'm also grateful for any ideas of getting this to work differently. I realize that my ideas might not be the best ones by far :)

Thanks for your help in advance

DeeDee