MathML and Web Help !

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by oyeLucky, Feb 4, 2009.

1. oyeLucky

oyeLucky New Member

HI ! I am thinking to use MathML on my website for which I need help. Can somebody tell me that how can I use MathML on my website. I have to write Mathematical Equations which will be stored in the DB and later on this need to be shown to end-user. I just checked on client side, there is plugin required called MathPlayer. Isn't there any way that we can just convert the MathML to image and show it to the end-user.?

Kindly suggest something,

2. Mr.MathType

Mr.MathType New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.dessci.com
    You've made a good choice by deciding to go with MathML. It sounds like you're new to MathML though, so rather than give a lot of details here, I'll point you to a section of our website that leads you step-by-step through the process: A Math on the Web Publishing Process. (I can't link to the article here, but go to our website and search for it. It's in the Reference section. There's a lot there that has to do with MathType, a commercial product that we sell, but there's a lot there that just deals with MathML too. The section on setting up a "gateway page" should be especially useful for what you're wanting to do.)

That's only partially correct. If the person viewing your page is using Internet Explorer, you're correct; he needs MathPlayer. However, there are browsers that are capable of displaying MathML without any additional software. Firefox and Camino both support MathML very well, and Opera supports it somewhat. (Though I wouldn't call Opera's support "native". It's done with CSS, and will look fine for some math, all right for some, and a little off for some.) Safari doesn't support MathML at all.

Yes, there are alternatives. Best thing to do is to do a Google search for "mathml fallback images" (without the quotes), and see what turns up. What this will do is to allow you to use MathML, which will be displayed to readers of your site who are using a compatible browser. For readers who are not using a compatible browser, images will be presented (called "fallback images").

3. Bhullarz

Bhullarz New Member

System Manager
    Home Page:
    http://www.tutors161.com
    Bro 1 If you want to use MathML on your website, I will suggest you to use Java Applets and use some free packages to generate images of mathml(latex) code. I have recently developed a plugin for tinymce for creating Mathematical equations and generating images for the code. I have used open source project which uses ASCIIMATH and Java applet to generate code and then online service to generate images.