1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Launch exe with parameters from a file?

Discussion in 'C' started by daveyah2002, Mar 18, 2011.

1. daveyah2002

daveyah2002 New Member

Hi,

My first post.
    A general query.

I wish to launch an executable from a file associated with the program. However I need to lauch it with a parameter from the file I am double-clicking on.

Double-clicking a file is just telling Windows which program to launch it with but is this an accessible process?

Is this feasible?

Thanks.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Yes. Any application like a notepad is associated with the .txt files and this is because Windows sends the file name in parameter which is opened by the application.

3. daveyah2002

daveyah2002 New Member

Hi, Thanks for the response - not quite what I am after. I know the file is already associated with the program like Notepad launches when you double click a .txt file as in your example.

I want my application to launch with say a command line parameter so it opens in a specific way. The parameter I want to use it would extract from the file I double-click on. So 2 different files could launch the application in a different mode.

Is this possible?

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Yes why not.

5. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Yes, but what you would have to do is have the program parse that file for the parameter.

Or you could create a new program that parses the file, then launches the first program with the file and the parameter.