K&R Learning Issue

Discussion in 'C' started by TimHarrington, Sep 4, 2010.

1. TimHarrington

TimHarrington New Member

Hello there,

The following code appears in K&R (p.18) second edition;

Code:
    main()
    {
        long nc;

nc = 0;
        while (getchar() != EOF)
            ++nc;
        printf("%ld\n", nc);
    } 

On the various IDEs I have tried (on windows), the code doesn't work as intended, at least not afaik. It never displays the number of characters, because it never reaches "EOF". Note - I did change the main to return type int and then return 0 at the end on my own, in case anyone feels like pointing that out.

Now, having read around on the internet I noticed on stackoverflow that someone had a similar problem and replacing EOF with '\n' "solves" this issue, we now treat a newline as the end of input, which makes sense.. For the next program in the book this solution is also sufficient, but when we reach 1.5.3 we start line counting - now we can't use '\n' as K&R use that to count the number of new lines are being created and it wouldn't work anyway - it would always return '1'.

I have tried ^D as a way of sending an end of file command to the output window, as suggested elsewhere, but this hasn't worked. I guess(ed) this is the problem when learning from a very old book - but even after downloading Turbo C 2.01 (1989) I had the same issue, it wouldn't exit the while loop as there is never an 'EOF'.

So my question is this - what is the best IDE/compiler to use when reading K&R? I really want to run every program to help in my understanding, but if I keep running into these issues I am going to waste a lot of time trying to get even basic programs running and I assume this isn't an error in the book?

A short term solution to getting the line counting program up and running isn't really sufficient imo, I really just want to get going - have an IDE/compiler that will run every program in the book without issue...

...Do I need to install Linux or is it really a problem with the book?

Any help would be appreciated, I have searched high and low and spent a good few hours playing around with different compilers/IDEs that have been recommended only to get frustrated and forced to start a thread asking for some guidance.

2. go4expert

go4expert Moderator

I will go with GCC