Here i will give step by step procedure for linux installation already if your machine is loaded with XP.
1. Delete one of your existing logical partition and make it FREE memory space at least 6 GB.
2. Put the LINUX CD and Select the option boot from CD-ROM Mode.
3. Here you can install in two ways
(a) for GUI mode > LINUX (just press Enter)
(b) for TEXT mode > LINUX Text
4. It will ask for the size of partitions in manual mode with the help of DISKDRUID (partition tool).
5. Create and give the sizes for mandatory directories
(a) / 4000MB
(b) /boot 100 MB fixed
(c) /home depending up on number of users
(d) /usr depending on your applications
(f) swap double of the RAM.
6. Choose the boot loader GRUB/LILO.
7. Give the root password
8. After installing all CDS it will ask for first CD again.
9. Reboot the System.
10. WELCOME TO REDHAT linix......
Kolla Sanjeeva Rao
Last edited by shabbir; 11Aug2010 at 08:58..
Reason: Confine links to signatures.