Some helpful hints needed

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by Novice2009, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

Hi,

I know very little about computers in general, thats why i searched this site to ask a question.

basicly i want to know if there is a way to identify a user on a discussion forum, just to know who it is.

so, say you are in a forum and you are coming across somebody you think might just be an old user with a new name...and you'd like to know.

can their ip be matched up from their original users posts to the new ones? if so, how would you do this?

thanks

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

There is no full proof way but ip is one of the only unreliable option.

3. cpulocksmith

cpulocksmith New Member

student
    wouldn't a MAC address be better, if you could some how get it?

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Yes better than IP but I am not sure if we can get that info in web languages

5. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

k guys, as i said i know nothing. how can i do this, is there software or something in the dos commands?

6. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

Can somebody answer this question please?

7. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    Its difficult to do with IP as all others say. Cos, IP's are mostly dynamically allocated. MAC address is an alternate. But MAC spoofing can even be done nowadays with ease.

8. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

mac meaning they would have to be using a mac system? I really havent a clue.

Ok, How would i do it with a MAC adress, first letting me know what one is...lol, and how i would identfy someone and how i would obtain it.

thanks

9. fourthdimension

fourthdimension New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.easygeek.org
    Just to clarify, you won't be able to do any tracking unless you're an admin/mod, or unless the administrator has enabled public viewing of poster's IP's. All IP's are logged on forums and websites, so with the proper credentials, you can track/ID anyone you want. Without admin/mod privileges, there's not much you can do besides some clever googling.
    The MAC address is just the hardware address, unique to each machine. Somewhat similar to an IP address, only they're not dynamic. Chances are the MAC address won't be logged on the site - many sites don't log much beyond IP address, location, referrer, etc. MAC addresses are mostly logged by routers and switches.

10. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

Well Im not that admin, and i doubt i could get help getting somebodys adress from the admin...lol

They usually say "put them on ignore"

Ok you mention clever googling, what would that entail?

11. fourthdimension

Home Page:
    Well, that's almost exactly what it sounds like. First check out his profile and see what comes up. Any AIM/email/other contact info? Save it to a text document and google each of those, as well as his username. Anything new come up in any one of those searches? More contact info? More personal info? Any associated usernames? Keep compiling that document and googling the new additions. Normally I'll have a few pages worth of helpful/relevant information within a half-hour when I follow this process. The last time I did this, included in that information (among many more important pieces of information) were seven or eight other usernames, which is what you're looking for. That's what I mean by clever googling. Use that process and you should be able to find any connections between the usernames, unless the new username has not been used before or there is no connection.
    Another thing you can do is send both users PM's. Do they respond in the same way with the same style of writing?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  12. Novice2009

Novice2009 New Member

actually, i think the name was just creaetd to annoy me. They wouldnt be so stupid as to use their real info on a fake name because if i knew who it was, i'd insult them to shreds :happy: and they know this. much safer through an annymous name

thanks for the ideas though. appreciate it.

13. fourthdimension

Home Page:
    Yeah, I imagine they wouldn't. But if they use any info on their other name, and that leads to another name, etc, you may find a link. But then again, maybe not, if they just created it to get on your nerves.
    There may be a site policy against multiple accounts per person. If there is, you may be able to get the admins to tell you if it's the same person or not by bringing the possibility to their attention.