Some helpful hints needed

Light Poster
Hi,

I know very little about computers in general, thats why i searched this site to ask a question.

basicly i want to know if there is a way to identify a user on a discussion forum, just to know who it is.

so, say you are in a forum and you are coming across somebody you think might just be an old user with a new name...and you'd like to know.

can their ip be matched up from their original users posts to the new ones? if so, how would you do this?

thanks
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
There is no full proof way but ip is one of the only unreliable option.
cpulocksmith's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2008
Skilled contributor
wouldn't a MAC address be better, if you could some how get it?
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpulocksmith View Post
wouldn't a MAC address be better, if you could some how get it?
Yes better than IP but I am not sure if we can get that info in web languages
Light Poster
k guys, as i said i know nothing. how can i do this, is there software or something in the dos commands?
Light Poster
Can somebody answer this question please?
neo_vi's Avatar, Join Date: Feb 2008
Invasive contributor
Its difficult to do with IP as all others say. Cos, IP's are mostly dynamically allocated. MAC address is an alternate. But MAC spoofing can even be done nowadays with ease.
Light Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_vi View Post
Its difficult to do with IP as all others say. Cos, IP's are mostly dynamically allocated. MAC address is an alternate. But MAC spoofing can even be done nowadays with ease.
mac meaning they would have to be using a mac system? I really havent a clue.

Ok, How would i do it with a MAC adress, first letting me know what one is...lol, and how i would identfy someone and how i would obtain it.

thanks
fourthdimension's Avatar, Join Date: Jan 2009
Ambitious contributor
Just to clarify, you won't be able to do any tracking unless you're an admin/mod, or unless the administrator has enabled public viewing of poster's IP's. All IP's are logged on forums and websites, so with the proper credentials, you can track/ID anyone you want. Without admin/mod privileges, there's not much you can do besides some clever googling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2009 View Post
mac meaning they would have to be using a mac system? I really havent a clue.

Ok, How would i do it with a MAC adress, first letting me know what one is...lol, and how i would identfy someone and how i would obtain it.

thanks
The MAC address is just the hardware address, unique to each machine. Somewhat similar to an IP address, only they're not dynamic. Chances are the MAC address won't be logged on the site - many sites don't log much beyond IP address, location, referrer, etc. MAC addresses are mostly logged by routers and switches.
Light Poster
Well Im not that admin, and i doubt i could get help getting somebodys adress from the admin...lol

They usually say "put them on ignore"

Ok you mention clever googling, what would that entail?