need some help with wine.

Discussion in 'Unix' started by cpulocksmith, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cpulocksmith

cpulocksmith New Member

student
    ok well, since i am a little bit green with this whole linux thing i would like to ask about how you work the program wine. i bet at least some of you have hurd of it? well anyway i have read up on installing things and i can install most anything now. but this wine program does not have a configure file?! i know there are other things that can be done but i have failed to find out what i can do with the files that i have been given. so please if some one could please give me a clue on how i am to install this it would be really nice. thanks, locksmith.

2. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    wine is a program that is used to run widows programs in linux. But u cannot run all programs in it. Its a bit limited. Just open wine and in that select the windows .exe file u wanna open in linux and wine will try to open it as a standalone thing. For example i once used wine to extract rar files. I jus copied winrar.exe to my desktop in linux and i run it. It'l open as a standalone. But if u need to open some game like thing u cannot do it.