Help needed with Turbo C

Discussion in 'C' started by micsom, Oct 30, 2008.

1. micsom

micsom New Member

Developer
    hi i have made a tool on Turbo..and it is working fine..it basically works using files on the host system and also with files stored in other systems connected to the host system...

but during testing phase i came accross a problem which i have no idea how to remove..you see Turbo C cannot take a file name which is more than 8 characters long...it does take Wild characters(*)..

Eg>>
    if the file name is once_upon_a_time_in_china.mrm
    it wont take the filename..
    but if i give the filename as *.mrm..it works....but then it takes all the files of type mrm..

how do i make it to select a single file

Thanx

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Which version? If it's version 2.0, then according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C this is dated 1989, which at almost 20 years old almost certainly predates long filenames.

I can't see any reason for using such an old compiler. If you want free and don't mind closed source, then the compilers from Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 can be downloaded for free (lookup "Visual Studio Express").

3. micsom

micsom New Member

Developer
    thanx dude for you reply...thing is back in college we used to do programming either on turbo or Suse Linux ...

here i have lcc-win32 compiler...but i was more ateasy with turbo...so made the entire thing there...
    i thought i can recompile the source code in lcc-win32, and get the work done..but somehow(i have no idea how)...the tool works nicely in Turbo environment, but showsup Runtime errors in lcc-win32...or any other recent compiler....

4. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    The later compilers are likely to be stricter than the older ones, so the runtime errors could indicate bugs in the program. Only solution I'm afraid is to start debugging. If you start with a simple hello world program, then gradually add in bits from the utility testing thoroughly at each step, you should sooner or later find the problematic code.

How many lines of code is the tool? Have you considered posting it on SourceForge?

5. micsom

micsom New Member

Developer
    i cant post the code anywhere as its against our company policy(security)....while writing the code i took special care to use POSIX APIs which are availabe to linux 2.4 and above and also to turbo...
    i thought tht should be enough to take care about the compatibility issues and make it work on diff OS..

anyways, seems like its the end of the road...if any1 has any ideas please post here..

thanx once again