need help with email form...

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by r2d246, Jul 26, 2006.

1. r2d246

r2d246 New Member

Hello, I'm in the process of building a basic type of autoresponder reply form. Here's what I have in mind. I need a email form that I'd be able to put on my website that visitors to my site could use to contact me by. Pretty simple so far.

However, what I need it to be able to to do is have a drop down menu for the subject line. The drop down menu would contain a bunch of "pre-formatted" questions. Such as: "I'm having trouble logging in what's my password again"....and so on and so on.

The mock up is at: http://www.oilcareer.com/newform.htm

So the person sending the email would have to choose one of the preformatted questions in the subject line drop down menu. Each of those drop down menu subject line would be linked to it's own email account. So which ever subject line they choose would let the form know what email to send that form information too.

Then what I'd have is each of those emails simply having an autoresponder in place. So immediately after they would send off the email, the corrisponding email would send back the autoresponder message to the customer with a generic reply to their question. And then I would say something like "and if this doesn't answer your question feel free to email me back at: mainemail@mysite.com" which would go direct to me.

I'm hoping that this would reduce the amount of emails I get.

I've made a mock up of how this form would look and how the html would function. Could you please look at it and look at the source code and let me know how this could work with a form in the way I've described? The mock up is at: http://www.oilcareer.com/newform.htm

Thanks for the help. http://www.oilcareer.com/newform.htm

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

You dont need an auto responder for such a system.

Why not try this.

You know which combo is selected and instead of sending an email to your addresses why no send it to your same address but also a preformated reply to the customers address that you are sending as automated one. It has an added benefit

1. You dont have to have multiple email addresses to maintain (Delete mails from each account and stuff like that)
    2. Users each time getting reply from different email address on different queries will trigger alarms on his side as to what is happening and sometimes it may go to spam folder as well. If you have one email address and if user has that added in his address book chances are less for such mishaps

3. r2d246

r2d246 New Member

I get the same questions asked over and over again. That's why I want specific replies to these responces. At least that way they're getting a basic reply to their questions. The way it is now knowone is getting a reply.

I just wish I could figure out how to link the drop down menu with the emails. So that when someone clicks "send" the form would know which email to send to. I'm not sure how to set up that html form code to work like that. Does anyone know?

Matt

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

When you get the form submitted you know the value of the combobox selected and just take necessary action like sending emails to your query account in each of the value selected