Help needed with a C++ project.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Natasha05, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Natasha05

Natasha05 New Member

Background: The project is a simplified view of micro-array data analysis. Micro-arrays and the analysis of their data are important endeavors in computational biology. Some of the computations are also similar to those used in digital signal processing and various forms of pattern processing (image, picture, photo, biometric, etc.)
    Project Description:
    1. In each of the following cases, the input data can be hard coded, obtained interactively, or read from input data file(s).

2. Write a C++ program that has as input data an M x N array (M > 64 and N > 64), with {0, 1} entries; hence such an array is called a (0, 1)-matrix; also used to represent adjacency, incidence, relationship, indicator, signature matrices. The program performs the following calculations:
    a. Compute the number of 0’s and number of 1’s in each row
    b. Compute the number of 0’s and number of 1’s in each column
    c. Compute the number of 0’s and number of 1’s on main diagonal
    d. Compute the number of 0’s and number of 1’s on the off diagonal
    e. Compute the number of 0’s and number of 1’s on each diagonal parallel to main diagonal.

3. Write a C++ program that has as input data two M x N arrays, A and B, (M > 64 and N > 64), with {0, 1} entries. The program creates an M x N array C, with the following property. One of the arrays A or B can be regarded as a filter (mask) for the other.

a. Each C(i, j) entries are computed as follows:
    C(i, j) = 0, if A(i, j) = 0 and B(i, j) = 1
    1, if A(i, j) = 1 and B(i, j) = 0
    2, if A(i, j) = B(i, j) = 0
    3, if A(i, j) = B(i, j) = 1
    b. Compute the number of each value in {0, 1, 2, 3} in the C array.

4. (Extra Credit) 3. Write a C++ program that has as input data one M x N array A, and one m x n array W, (M > 64, N > 64), (m < 10, n < 10). Both A and W have {0, 1} entries. W is to be used as a sliding window over A, by positioning or centering W(1, 1) over each entry A(i, j). In each case, the program computes the number of positions where the entries in A and W match.
    Project Deliverables: Write a Project Report that includes the following:
    Project Title
    Author
    Affiliation
    Abstract
    Introduction
    Design
    Implementation Effort
    Discussion of Results
    Test Cases
    Summary and Conclusion
    Acknowledgments
    References
    Appendix:
    Design Pseudo-code
    Flow chart(s), if any
    Source Code listing
    Test Cases
    Test Runs (Screen shots)

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    How far have you got and where are you stuck? Do you understand the project requirements?