drawing rectangles, line, shapes, on tab controls

Discussion in 'Win32' started by mennowo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mennowo

mennowo New Member

Hello! I'm new to this foru, since I a not an experienced win32 programmer quite yet...

I am running into trouble using tab controls. Right now I have a parent windows (actually it is a child of another window). Inside are two tabs. I can switch between them and add/display static controls.

Now, I would like to use a part of the tab's area to display rectangles (and some text). Their size will change in realtime (ie. a paint sequence will happen 10 times a second). I can do this on the parent window, but I am lost as to how to do this on a tab. How to paint onto the tab?

I tried to use "TCS_OWNERDRAWFIXED" style, and then deal with the WM_DRAWITEM message. However, how I don't know how to ake sure this message gets sent.
    Also how to invalidate only a part of a tab, cause preferably I wanna also show buttons, which should not be updates so often...

any ideas are welcome. Maybe my apporach to this is not quite right, since I just began using the win32 api...