Doubt in polymorphism

Discussion in 'C++' started by Rohithzhere, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Rohithzhere

Rohithzhere New Member

Hi all,

I have worked on c++ for a reasonable amount of time.

But i am not strong in polymorphism.

Now suppose i have

Code:
    Class SHAPE
    {
       public:
               Print() {///Code }
    }

class Triangle: public SHAPE
    {
         public :
              Print() { }
    }

In the above example, Triangle and SHAPE are polymorphic.

But if the case is

Code:
    Class SHAPE
    {
       public:
               Print() {///Code }
      private:
            int a[100];
            double color;

}

{

public :
              Print() { }
          private:
            int a;
    }

Are these 2 classes still polymorphic

And also if the case is

Code:
    Class SHAPE
    {
       public:
               Print() {///Code }

int a[100];
            double color;

}

{

public :
              Print() { }

int a;
    }

2. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

The misconception about polymorphism is they can only be related to functions which comes when you read books who themeselve do not know abotu polymorphism but the real meaning of polymorphism is giving poly ( many ) usage of the same thing whether it be function / class / object / even a variable.

Say if I declare an int i and then use the same int i in loops thrice then that also means polymorphism because the variable I declared was used to loop through 3 context and I know its bad programming but then its polymorphism.

In your case you always have the function but if the function would have been not there then also it would have been polymorphism.

3. Rohithzhere

Rohithzhere New Member

Oh ok, thanks dude.

One more doubt. Is there any special case where a child class is not a polymorphic version of its base class? Is polymorphism' s basic idea up-casting and down casting?

Thanks and Regards,
    Rohith.H.N

4. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

Polymorphism is just giving more than one task to it and it is independent of up/down casting

5. imported_xpi0t0s

imported_xpi0t0s New Member

> Is there any special case where a child
    class is not a polymorphic version of its base class? Is polymorphism' s basic idea up-casting and down casting?

I think you could be confusing polymorphism with inheritance. Triangle is derived from SHAPE; it inherits SHAPE's functionality and data. In themselves neither Triangle nor SHAPE are polymorphic; this is about what you do with classes.

If you had another class Square also derived from SHAPE this too isn't polymormphism, although is a necessary prerequisite to it.

Now suppose you have a drawing program which draws triangles and squares, using a list of type SHAPE and calling SHAPE->draw(), where draw() is defined in Triangle and Square (and SHAPE, of course, where it could either be a default draw operation or virtual void draw()=0, the latter of which would also prevent you instantiating SHAPEs). THAT is polymorphism - poly=many; morph=shape/type, not to mention the Red Dwarf episode Polymorph where a creature was able to determine its own appearance) so a pointer-to-SHAPE is being used as a pointer to many different things.

Any use of a SHAPE* pointer to manipulate a Triangle or Square object would constitute polymorphism.

6. Rohithzhere

Rohithzhere New Member

Thanks,Thank you very much

Regards,
    Rohith.H.N

7. hkp819

hkp819 New Member

the doubt of polymorphism is only resolve by the practice, so do practice by reading books and practicing programs
    any way polymorphism is

Polymorphism is the ability to use an operator or function in different ways. Polymorphism gives different meanings or functions to the operators or functions. Poly, referring to many, signifies the many uses of these operators and functions. A single function usage or an operator functioning in many ways can be called polymorphism. Polymorphism refers to codes, operations or objects that behave differently in different contexts.

8. preaskcli

preaskcli New Member

Hm ...

To start :

lspci | grep Network

If you get something like this :

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)

You need to use ndiswrapper for install drivers.

But 1st,as we know this is Debian platform now and i think that u can try this :

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

If you get some message after install just click ok.

9. gsuryaprasath

gsuryaprasath New Member

Polymorphism :

Polymorphisms is a generic term that means 'many shapes'. More precisely Polymorphisms means the ability to request that the same operations be performed by a wide range of different types of things.