Difference between SEM and SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by yohan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. yohan

yohan New Member

What's the difference between Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

There is huge difference between SEO and SEM. In fact there is no similarity between SEO and SEM.

SEO is ranking your site well in the organic search results using tips liked by search engine but SEM is much more bigger than SEO. SEM includes the complete SEO process but also include the PPC Marketing as well as collecting data for more effective SEO.

Lets take an example with some numbers.

Say I want to rank on top for a keyword XYZ. Its highly competitive and requires lots of effort and money to rank well but what would be my ROI. Do I know that no. I can only estimate but what if I do a PPC marketing to rank at top for that keywords and see how the ROI comes to my website.

If now after doing ROI I know what would I make and so now I easily estimate if its worth investing in SEO or not. So SEM is something which you should work on before SEO.

3. extomas

extomas New Member

I don't know why people don't accept that SEO is a part of SEM, SEM is search engine marketing that include PPC and SEO both.

4. shabbir

Its not that people don't accept. They just don't know it.

5. seopeter

seopeter New Member

SEM also contains PPC and Paid Listings while SEO is part of SEM

6. janeyardy

janeyardy New Member

SEO is about building link and increasing your website visibility in search engines by implementing various techniques.
    Contrary to it SEM is related with earning money via of marketing. Google adsense, PPC ,affiliate marketing all lies in the category of SEM

7. shabbir

That shows your inexperience towards SEO

8. nimesh

nimesh New Member

Oracle Apps Admin
    Home Page:
    http://techiethakkar.blogspot.com
    Correct.
    I came to knew about both from G4EF.

9. JhonWilliams

JhonWilliams New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.dotcominfoway.com
    Hi,
    SEO concentrates on meta tags, titles, keyword density, effective and clean html coding whereas SEM looks into the search engine submission, paid inclusion, directories submission, traditional adds, PPC (Pay Per Click), PPS (Pay Per Sale) and press release.

10. mickeyy

mickeyy New Member

Business
    Home Page:
    http://mayfairhousing.com
    SEO is ought to earn good volume of traffic and will convert visitors into potential traders. While, SEM finds traders to directly buy their product and services.
    Bigger companies/sites need to include SEM in their plans, whereas smaller businesses can get away with just SEO :pleased:
    and yes.. i agree, overall SEO is a piece of SEM.

11. aalabaha

aalabaha New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.infoquestit.com
    Hi Buddy!!!

Here seo is website promotion sem is website marketing tricks.. thanks fr sharing...meet again...

12. wondershare

wondershare New Member

I don't think SEO is a part of SEM.

SEM contains SEO, PPS ect

13. wondershare

wondershare New Member

SEO is a part of internet marketing.

SEM includes a part of internet marketing factors, such as PPC etc.

SEM is the combination of SEO and a part of Internet marketing.

so..... what do you think?

suggesting a data recovery tools.

14. kingmidassound

kingmidassound New Member

Search
    Home Page:
    http://www.m-w.co.uk
    SEO is the tech side of things both on and off page
    SEM is marketing in a wider form - getting sign ups to your facebook page, ning community or story on digg.

15. satyedra pal

satyedra pal New Member

SEO stands for search engine optimization.
    SEM stands for search engine marketing.
    SEO is a part of SEM. SEO is works with the HTML and other content of your website for relevant, targeted keywords in order to attain higher listings than competing websites. SEO is broader than SEO and by SEM can improve visibility or traffic within paid and unpaid manner.

16. softwaretailor

softwaretailor New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.softwaretailor.com/SEO.htm
    SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing) are disciplines in the electronic arts which employ techniques to help businesses get a competitive advantage in the arena of online marketing in order to achieve greater visibility and increased sales and revenue.
    SEO is the process optimizing a website to produce desirable organic, or natural, search results for specific words or phrases on the major search engines, of which Google is the primary target. This is achieved by manipulating the code of the website, the content on the site, and the number and type of links that lead to the site. Other factors will influence the success of the website as well.
    Search Engine Marketing incorporates advertising purchases online in conjunction with SEO to improve the success of a website in a shorter period of time. This generally involves advertising using Pay Per Click campaigns on major search engines, advertising on highly-trafficked and relevant directories, and other types of placement in online and classic medias.
    Tangible Traffic employs only ‘white hat’ SEO, linking, and optimization techniques. Our goal is to improve the functionality, content, and usability of your website to benefit the end user while making the site more appealing to the major search engines as a viable result for targeted keywords.

17. dvdv882

dvdv882 New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.seocompanychicago.com
    SEO is the process of tailoring a website (text, titles, meta tags, alt tags etc...) so that search engines will assign a good rank to the sites for the specific search terms.earch engines introducing fees for guaranteed inclusion in their indices, directories charging for reviews and the emergence of PPC listings, SEO now has an element of media buying mixed in.

The SEM is meant to be both a tutorial and a general information resource.If you frequent other prominent SEM resources you will find that this tutorial, like most search engine promotion sites, tends to go over the same ground. This is because there are no secrets to successful search engine positioning - just experience, a lot of research and tons of hard work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  18. elum.chaitu

elum.chaitu Banned

Home Page:
    http://www.eluminoustechnologies.com
    SEO: Search engine Optimization is Optimizing the Website as a Search engine Friendly.

SEM: Search Engine Marketing is Marketing the Products through the Search Engine. here their is no need to Optimize the website.

19. Danielle24

Danielle24 New Member

Loan Officer
    Home Page:
    http://www.homeloanshoustontexas.com
    Hi everyone
    I had a few people working on SEO for my site. But i am unable to generate leads so far. Is SEM is what i need to do to get some Leads? Please let me know because i am really running out of money for this SEO work.

20. shabbir

No and if you think that SEO is not working for you it is not the right way actually means the SEO people hired by you are not capable of finding the right keyword for your business.