What is the difference between Friend Function and virtual function?

Discussion in 'C' started by suchi, Jul 26, 2009.

1. suchi

suchi New Member

Could somebody help me out to point out Difference Between Friend Function and virtual function. I am very much confuse with the definition and use of both also.:baby:

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    They're completely different beasts...

A friend function is a function that can access a class's private members while not being a member of that class. (You can also have friend classes)

A function is defined virtual so that polymorphism can work: if you have a pointer to the base class and invoke a virtual function, the derived class's version of the function is called. Without virtual functions you would have to cast a pointer to a base class to a pointer to a derived class to invoke the intended function.

Code:
    class base
    {
    public:
    	virtual void foo() { printf("Base class foo()\n"); }
    	void bar() { printf("Base class bar()\n"); }
    };

class c : public base
    {
    private:
    	c(){}

public:
    	void foo() { printf("c foo()\n"); }
    	void bar() { printf("c bar()\n"); }

friend c *friend_func();
    };

c *friend_func()
    {
    	return new c;
    }

void fvtest()
    {
    	// c my_c; // compile error due to private constructor
    	base *b=friend_func();
    	b->foo(); // should call c::foo()
    	b->bar(); // should call b::bar()
    	c* cptr=(c*)b;
    	cptr->foo(); // should call c::foo()
    	cptr->bar(); // should call c::bar()
    }

(In my testbed main just calls fvtest())

Output:
    c foo()
    Base class bar()
    c foo()
    c bar()

So you see here that b is defined as a pointer to base, is used as a pointer to base, but a pointer to c action occurs because b::foo() is virtual. b::bar() is not virtual so b->bar() invokes b::bar().

Also you can see that no cast is needed where b is initialised, i.e. you don't have to say base *b=(base*)friend_func(). This is because it's perfectly OK to assign a pointer-to-derived to a pointer-to-base variable. On the other hand a cast IS needed to initialise cptr, because an object that is pointed to by a base pointer might not actually be of class c. So this assignment is unsafe and a cast is required, but that's OK because we know friend_func() returned a c*.

If you actually want to call base::foo() directly, using b, then you have to specify the class:
    Code:
    	b->base::foo();

shabbir likes this.