Converting A C File Into .exe

fob500's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2009
Go4Expert Member
Hi could any one tell how to convert a c file into an executable file ?
Also I have designed a simple screen saver in C ..How can I convert it into a setup program(to install on a windows based computer).Like any other setup program.
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Compiling the source code would generate an executable file in Windows. Which compiler you are using?
fob500's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2009
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir View Post
Compiling the source code would generate an executable file in Windows. Which compiler you are using?
Well doesn''t compiling create an object file ?? I'm using the GCC compiler on a linux platform.
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by fob500 View Post
Well doesn''t compiling create an object file ?? I'm using the GCC compiler on a linux platform.
Ohh! then there is nothing called an exe file in Linux BTW
fob500's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2009
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir View Post
Ohh! then there is nothing called an exe file in Linux BTW
Yes that is true but it is irrelevant to the question I asked.My friend if you read my first post again I have clearly mentioned
that
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I convert it into a setup program(to install on a windows based computer).Like any other setup program.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I merely replied to the question you asked that 'what compiler I was using' I never said that I am trying to have an exe file for linux.

Anyway let me re phrase my question I have a C program (maybe a screen saver) and I want to make a setup for it so that it can be distributed and installed ON A WINDOWS BOX.Can any one tell me how to go about it.
Also I have programmed in C on windows long time back on something called 'Turbo C' .Not sure if that was the compiler name that you expected. Does it also produce an exe file when you compile a c program.Thanks
xpi0t0s's Avatar, Join Date: Aug 2004
Mentor
A compiler creates an object file, and a linker creates an executable.
The Visual Studio compilers and SDK can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft web site (Visual Studio IDE itself is a premium product that you have to pay for)
If you don't want that then there are free compilers for Windows, MinGW being one.

I don't know anything about setup programs but if you search MSDN for "msi" (the install set extension) that should take you to some relevant pages.

Also I don't know if there are any cross compilers that run on Linux to generate programs that run on Windows, cos that's what you're asking for. Probably best to develop Windows programs on a Windows machine.
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
You are asking how to goto step2 when you have a big issue with step1.

If you have an exe I can tell you how to make an installer but unless you have an exe it would be of no help.
fob500's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2009
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir View Post
You are asking how to goto step2 when you have a big issue with step1.

If you have an exe I can tell you how to make an installer but unless you have an exe it would be of no help.
Ok so the problem now is that I have a running program on windows box( that is not the problem actually) so how do I go about getting an .exe file.When I compile it on windows the output file is it an object or exe file ?
fob500's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2009
Go4Expert Member
While we are at it could any one tell ,When we compile a C program on windows and on Linux is there any difference between the output files produced after compilation ?
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by fob500 View Post
While we are at it could any one tell ,When we compile a C program on windows and on Linux is there any difference between the output files produced after compilation ?
The output files produced are such that they work on the compiled system. By compiling I meant complete compile / linking and producing output files.