Confusion on setting up mobile browser detection

Discussion in 'C#' started by franimaldoc, May 16, 2011.

1. franimaldoc

franimaldoc New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.aboutPageArizona.com
    Hi -

While I have created a website it's pretty simple in programming, all done in html. So I'm not exactly a newbie but not particularly savvy about new stuff, so this may be a dumb question.
    Forgive me if that's so.

My analytics for the above site tell me that fully a quarter of my visitors are coming to me on some sort of mobile unit. Having read a couple books on the subject, I'm trying to set up 4 or 5 versions of the site for the different mobile options, the different display sizes.

The mobile detection script I purchased from Detect Mobile Browsers has the option of sending iPhones, Blackberries, Droids, etc (types of phones) to a certain URL or to 'Treat like a mobile device'. Since I want to send these specific devices to a certain URL, this is not the problem.

The problem arises in that I am given the same choices when mobile browsers ( Opera mini, or Windows 7) are detected. Since my understanding is that these browsers span quite a few devices of different display sizes, I'm not sure where to send these. It also now raises the question of what is meant by treating these devices as mobile.

Are any of you familiar with this software, and if you are, can you help me sort out the best choices I can make here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time,
    Fran

2. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

In which programming language you want this to be done?

3. franimaldoc

franimaldoc New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.aboutPageArizona.com
    The software I downloaded from detectmobilebrowsers.com is in php.

You can download it for free from their website, and maybe you can figure out what happens if I choose the option 'Treat like a mobile browser'. I'm not proficient in php, so as far I can figure, the code checks to see if it can identify a specific phone, then if it can't, it tries to identify if it's a miniOpera or Windows 7 user, then failing that merely distinguishes between a mobile user and a desktop.

My problem is that I don't know what happens if it is identified as - for example - a miniOpera user and I merely say 'Treat it as a mobile browser' rather than sending it to a specific URL.

Thanks for your time,
    Fran

4. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

Your application logic should tell you answer to this question.