C coding

Go4Expert Member
Hi,
I need the coding to add 10 numbers using function and array and by not using pointers.whethet it is possible to add the numbers without using pointers.i need a clear idea about array and functions.If any one knows plaz help me.
-Sakthi
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Simple
Code: C
int add(int arr[10])
{
    int res = 0;
    for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
        res += arr[i];
    return res;
}

int main()
{   
    int arr[10] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10};
    int x = add(arr);
    return 0;
}
Go4Expert Member
Hi,

I need the coding without specifying the array size directly.that is u gave the array size as 10 na,for that we have to get the number from the user.
-Sakthi
Go4Expert Founder
No problem juts use the pointer instead of aaray and use malloc to allocate the pointer and use like an array.
Go4Expert Member
Hi,

Thanks for replying the previous program.I need a C coding for another program
for finding the inverse of the matrix,sorting of the matrix,without using the pointers only by using the array.Please help me.
-Sakthi
Go4Expert Founder
Please try to put it as a different thread as that will help even others to find the things easier.
Go4Expert Member
hi

i have one doubt regarding Strings.for reading the input from the keyboard we are using & for all other data type xcept string.can i know the reason y we are not using & for string in the scanf function.

Sakthi
pradeep's Avatar, Join Date: Apr 2005
Team Leader
I didn't really get your question, kindly explain!
DaWei's Avatar, Join Date: Dec 2006
Team Leader
Scanf needs a pointer to the variable. Consequently, the "address-of" operator (&) is applied to the name of the variable. A C-string is not a single "thing", but a collection of such things (chars). The name of the array is treated as a pointer to its first element. Since it's already a pointer, the address-of operator is not required.

As Shabbir mentions, please put separate questions in separate threads. It's a matter of organization and promotes searchability.

Last edited by DaWei; 27Dec2006 at 23:13..
pradeep's Avatar, Join Date: Apr 2005
Team Leader
LOL! I took shakthi's '&' in the post for a literal AND and not the address-of operator!