Blogspot.com changed to blogspot.in?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by jhonackerman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jhonackerman

jhonackerman Banned

As we all know blogspot.com changes to blogspot.in. My doubt about it that "Will it effect bad as SEO point of view, should we leave Blogspot????" What you say all webmaster??? Yes or not? Please Help me by elaborate your answer.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Yes it could unless 301 permanent redirect is in place.

3. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    http://www.turkeypropertyaltinkum.co.uk
    My understanding is that although at the moment this only affects people trying to access a blogspot.com address from İndia, it is being rolled out so that there will be country specific blogspot addresses around the world eventually.

This is what Google says about this change from an SEO point of view:

"After this change, crawlers will find Blogspot content on many different domains. Hosting duplicate content on different domains can affect search results, but we are making every effort to minimize any negative consequences of hosting Blogspot content on multiple domains.
    The majority of content hosted on different domains will be unaffected by content removals, and therefore identical. For all such content, we will specify the blogspot.com version as the canonical version using rel=canonical. This will let crawlers know that although the URLs are different, the content is the same. When a post or blog in a country is affected by a content removal, the canonical URL will be set to that country’s ccTLD instead of the .com version. This will ensure that we aren’t marking different content with the same canonical tag."
    (source: http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2402711)

Which I take to mean that in most instances, it shouldn't make any difference. However, as they are initially only doing this for India, hopefully any glitches that are found will be resolved before it goes global.

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Whatever Google says officially, it is completely crap to have your domain not being redirected and so I think it is time to move on to self hosted Wordpress blog here

5. jhonden

jhonden New Member

301 is very important to hunt that page but blooger has become country specific and it can be used as a potential tool for SEO.

6. Click SSL

Click SSL Member

Google has just changed their algorithm. From 31st JAN, 2012 Blogger is automatically redirecting your blog to the country level TLD extension. If you live in UK than your [*.blogspot.com] will be redirect to [*.blogspot.co.uk].

7. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    "Algorithm" ia becomimg an over-used word to attach to anything that refers to any changes that Google makes. An algorithm is a method of calculation, and in terms of Google it is how they work out who is where in SERP. It can't correctly be used as the reason for a redirection (or if not an actual redirection, something that is pointing elsewhere).
    But in any case this has already been covered, the source I quoted explains what is going to happen.

8. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    That has been suggested in different articles I have read as being the possible reason, especially as India is the first country that is has been applied to and there do seem to be particular problems at the moment from that location. But it is going to effect all locations, and India is not the only source of these problems.