Bandwidth Limit Exceeded Issue

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by johnm, Jul 2, 2009.

1. johnm

johnm New Member

Hey guys, I'm incredibly new here. I'm a developer for a company who needs help. The basic question I need answered is how can I cut down bandwidth through uploads? Right now we are having an issue at already maxing out at 5GB so we bumped it to 10 because of uploads. We are a printing company who is trying to upload large sized files. Even when uploading through FTP it still has to create that HTTP temp directory which causes bandwidth. The amount of space isn't what I'm worried about, it is how much bandwidth were using when doing this, even with FTP uploads. Is there anyway to keep from making a temporary file on the web and uploading directly to a specified folder through FTP using one way access to the people uploading it can't see the files? If anyone can help with this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Any software you know of would help too...

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If you use FTP to upload file you do not need to use HTTP and its temp directory and you can also use FTP to upload without even a webserver.

For HTTP upload you have to be doing the uploading using the temp folder.

Now for either using FTP / HTTP it would be the same bandwidth usage because if you upload something from your PC to a web interface no matter what is the mode of communication the transferred data size still remains the same.

3. johnm

johnm New Member

Ok, that's very understandable. I take it you didn't get what I'm really asking. The problem isn't the fact of ftp or HTTP, it's how do we use an upload form on the web to go directly through to FTP and bypass the web servers bandwidth? This needs to be basically an online FTP client with options. We need something that won't bring traffic to the site but works as an online application so people can access it through the web. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I am not sure you can optimize beyond a point when it comes to bandwidth. The only thing you can do is upload a zip file because there is not much beyond a point you can do. I really doubt you understand the bandwidth your host calculates on. He does not calculate based on how much you use on web servers but the calculation is same for FTP / HTTP and when you upload the file the calculation is done and its not when you move them from temp to some other folder.

Now coming to your question. I think the best way to get out of such bandwidth problems is to use AMAZON AWS services which I think are best to store documents like you want.