Assembly language program

Discussion in 'Assembly Language Programming (ALP) Forum' started by goonjrulz, Dec 7, 2010.

1. goonjrulz

goonjrulz New Member

Question:
    Create two procedures: (1) SetColor receives two BYTE parameters: forecolor and backcolor. It calls the SetTextColor procedure from the Irvine32 library. (2) WriteColorChar receives three byte parameters: char, forecolor, and backcolor. It displays a single character, using the color attributes specified in forecolor and backcolor. It calls the SetColor procedure, and it also calls WriteChar from the Irvine32 library. Both SetColor and WriteColorChar must contain declared parameters. Complete the missing part of the code for the two procedures.
    Code:
    TITLE SetColor and WriteColorChar

INCLUDE Irvine32.inc

SetColor PROTO forecolor:BYTE, backcolor:BYTE
    WriteColorChar PROTO char:BYTE,forecolor:BYTE, backcolor:BYTE

.data
    .code
    main PROC
    INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'A', white, blue INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'B', blue, white INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'C', green, black INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'D', yellow, gray INVOKE SetColor, lightGray, black
    call Crlf
    exit main ENDP

WriteColorChar PROC ...
    WriteColorChar ENDP

SetColor PROC ...
    SetColor ENDP END main

Code:

SetColor PROTO forecolor:BYTE, backcolor:BYTE
    WriteColorChar PROTO char:BYTE,forecolor:BYTE, backcolor:BYTE

.data
    .code
    main PROC
    INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'A', white, blue 
    INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'B', blue, white 
    INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'C', green, black 
    INVOKE WriteColorChar, 'D', yellow, gray 
    INVOKE SetColor, lightGray, black

call Crlf
    exit 
    main ENDP

WriteColorChar PROC

pop ebp                                                                        ; pop the ebp from the stack
            pop ecx                                                                        ; pop the ecx reg. from the stack
            pop ebx                                                                        ; pop the ebx reg. from the stack
            pop eax                                                                        ; pop the eax reg. from the stack

push eax                                                                ; push Foreground onto the stack
            push ebx                                                                ; push background onto the stack
            push ecx                                                                ; push wChar onto the stack

call SetColor                                                        ; call SetColor
            call WriteChar                                                        ; call WriteChar

ret

WriteColorChar ENDP

SetColor PROC 
            push ebp                                                            ; Save calling procedure base pointer
            mov ebp, esp                                                        ; Set base pointer for this procedure

mov ecx, [ebp + 16]                                                 ; Retrieve colors
            mov eax, [ebp + 12]                                                 ; from the stack

mov ebx, 16                                                         ; foreColor + (backColor * 16 )
            mul ebx                                                                        
            add ecx, eax                                                        

mov eax, ecx                                                        ; move ecx reg. into eax re.
            call SetTextColor                                                   ; call SetTextColor to set the fore and back colors

mov eax, [ ebp + 8 ]                                                ; retreive the char from the stack
    		pop ebp                                                             ; Restore base pointer for calling procedure

ret

SetColor ENDP 
    END main

I'm not familiar with INVOKE and PROTO directive, but I tried my best to make this program. I think I have not used the INVOKE function properly.
    Error I get is A2111: Conflicting parameter definition