Which is best Asp.net, Php, Sharepoint?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by df3728, Apr 25, 2009.

1. df3728

df3728 New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.designersforum.com
    Hey guys, yesterday I talked with one web programmer on web development he suggested me three unique programs for my website, 1. Asp.net 2. Php 3. Sharepoint

Well I am new and I don’t have any ideas, I just asked him what will be the best platform to use for my properties site, as I told him that I need to handle lots more database, he suggested me to opt for asp.net, he feels mysql is not much safe and not efficient to handle such huge database

I wana know from this community which in these three will be best, or is there anything new? I need your valuable suggestion..

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I would compare all for you and its upto you to decide.

1. ASP.NET >> Its a programming language by Microsoft which means you would need Windows Server + IIS + Database server like SQL Server + some Anti Virus on the server.

Say now you need some more PC for your servers and so your costs goes up all the time you need a new server

2. Sharepoint Server are again from Microsoft and so everything above applies.

3. PHP >> This works like a cream on Linux / MySQL and needs very little when it comes to server costs due to open source.

There is no difference when it comes performance and other requirements.

I would not think of anything but PHP. Facebook even uses PHP for your information and so I am sure this gives you some example on how powerful PHP could be.

3. mgm02

mgm02 New Member

Hi
    I totally agree with Shabbir
    thanks Shabbir

4. jeklin

jeklin Banned

Hello,

Php is the best language

There's been a lot of discussion about this topic and I guess everyone have different opinions about it. I am a full-time freelance developer and do projects with PHP and ASP.NET so I may have a more neutral opinion about the two.

In the old days if you asked me to compare PHP and ASP, I would have said PHP without any hesitation. ASP was cumbersome to me with way too much overhead and lacked the OOP aspect. But these days with the newer.NET frameworks it's much harder to make up my mind.

Thanks.

5. lisacris

lisacris New Member

Guys,
    Could u be more specific about the differences. I mean, regarding the technology and cost advantage, which would be the best. As far as I know, Sharepoint usually demands special personnel for updating the site content, in another hand php is easy as a blog. Also the cost of creation, Sharepoint is about 20% more expensive. I would like to know, the Sharepoint performance in a common site, only information, is really above of the range that would justify the higher cost?
    Tks

6. mfred90

mfred90 Banned

Every language have different features and different quality. we can't say that its good or its bad.
    PHP - most widely used open-source server-side scripting language.
    ASP- ASP.NET makes building real world Web applications dramatically easier. ASP.NET server controls enable an HTML-like style of declarative programming that let you build great pages with far less code than with classic ASP.

Sharepoint -its a fully developed by Microsoft for fully organizational need.

7. Scripting

Scripting John Hoder

School for life
    As was mentioned above, PHP is best of the best!

8. bparker1084

bparker1084 Banned

developer
    Home Page:
    http://www.hiddenbrainsindia.com/
    Sharepoint isn't so much for web development as it is a system for sharing documents across a network, and it is a pretty bloated and unwieldy one at that.

9. alia123

alia123 New Member

Hey, according to me PHP and ASP.NET both are good and useful in web development. So I would suggest you to for one from these two.

Good Luck

10. Louis Zorbas

Louis Zorbas New Member

Get PHP, it's web server independent...In your case you can also pick asp.net.

11. mercado

mercado New Member

Both Asp.net and PHP have their own advantages and disadvantages. As already mentioned, Asp is a language created by Microsoft while PHP is open source. I know several people preferring PHP, just because it is open source. Personally, I prefer PHP because of various reasons including
    1. Open source
    2. Variety of frameworks like Laravel, Zend and codeignitor
    3. I just like it better.
    I can't say you must use PHP or ASP, because such choices must be made on personal preferences. I suggest you to try both and choose one. Happy coding.. :)

shabbir likes this.
  12. Luke Bainton

Luke Bainton New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.durotechindustries.com.au/
    I prefer PHP above all of them

13. MarshallN

MarshallN New Member

PHP is the best among them all, as for me.

14. JohnAdams

JohnAdams Member

PHP is a scripting language and it can be used to create dynamic and responsive applicaitons. PHP is easier to learn and use as compared to other languages. PHP has following advantages:
    • PHP is open source
    • Also used as general purpose programming language
    • Embedded with features offered through paid scripting language
    • Free, no need to pay any fees
    • Easy availability of resources.
    • Highly flexible

15. george valley

george valley New Member

PHP is the best as compare to other or PHP is easier to learn and use as compared to other languages.

16. Aspen Colton

Aspen Colton Member

PHP is the best among the 3, it is open source that means it’s free to use and is constantly being improved by a large number of people rather than a single company, it is great for large projects like Facebook, White House websites. it is highly effective at accessing and communicating with various database types. This makes it perfect for web-based scripts, such as website content management systems. it’s is highly scalable and you can easily customize according to your need

With ASP.net you have a very well documented, battle-hardened, mature and stable platform with a good API. But it is not easy to learn and harder to understand, plus It operates only on a Microsoft server

With SharePoint you gain a poorly documented, bug-ridden, very limited application that handles a lot of features that you would have to code yourself, which means that you spend a lot of time rewriting them anyway and trying to integrate them back.

17. Dev Arora

Dev Arora New Member

Home Page:
    https://www.digipanda.co.in/web-development/
    Here is the best platform that you can use

angular, react, bootstrap, services, .net core

18. John Bruce

John Bruce New Member

Home Page:
    https://www.websoptimization.com
    Every programming language has its special features and qualities. I can compare all of them for you.

ASP. NET:
    Good if you like C#.
    Safe and strong, it works well with Microsoft SQL Server.

PHP:
    Widely used, flexible.
    Works with MySQL and other databases.

SharePoint:
    It's better for collaboration but might be too much for a property site.

I prefer PHP because it is easy to use and works well with databases like MySQL. PHP gives you flexibility, meaning you can adapt it to suit your needs.

But you can choose according to your business requirements.