How to add Version to DLL created by a VC++ build in VS 6.0

Discussion in 'C++' started by marconi_07, Aug 27, 2009.

1. marconi_07

marconi_07 New Member

I have a DLL created by a VC++ build in Visual Studio 6.0. When I right click on the DLL, I could just see 'General', 'Security' and 'Summary' Tabs but I am not able to view the 'version' tab under Properties.

In Visual Studio 2005, if the 'Version' tab is not available, I am able to add the 'Version' Tab as follows :- Resource Files -> Add -> Resource.. -> Version

However for the VC++ DLL created in Visual Studio 6.0, I am not able to add the version. I believe this is a trivial change to the DLL, as the version number is a property of the project in Visual Studio 6.0 also. I assume that populating the version number will automatically cause the version tab to appear in the Properties window obtained by right clicking on the DLL.

Request, if anyone could help me with this. The Build is VC++ one and in Visual Studio 6.0.

Thanks a lot.
    Marconi.

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Version strings are part of the resources for the DLL. It's a long time since I used VC6 but IIRC all you need to do is add to the project a .rc file containing the version definition and it'll be compiled and linked in.