1. We have moved from vBulletin to XenForo and you are viewing the site in the middle of the move. Though the functional aspect of everything is working fine, we are still working on other changes including the new design on Xenforo.
    Dismiss Notice

406 Not Acceptable because of file name?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by pu132, Jul 14, 2007.

1. pu132

pu132 New Member

Okay, so I've tried this on two different servers (on the same host, though). Both use Apache 1.3.34 on Linux with cPanel. First off, I know the name is bad anyway, but I am curious to know the problem here.

I have an image named "CP BBall Seal.jpg" on the server. Every time I try to access the file I get a 406, using Firefox, IE, and PHP readfile. When I rename the file to "BP BBall Seal.jpg" or "DP BBall Seal.jpg" it works as it should. I also get a 406 if I name the file "CP test.jpg".

Is there something special about files that start with "CP " in Apache? Or is there some weird setting my host put on the server? Thanks.

2. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

cp in *nix system is a command, i.e. copy command. That may be a problem, I am not sure though try renaming your file to "MV BBall Seal.jpg". mv is also a command.

3. pu132

pu132 New Member

Interesting idea. But "MV " works just fine.

4. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Hmmm...I tried googling it but didn't find any clue!