I want to drop cookies...

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by Lil Mike, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Banned

Home Page:
    http://www.fentondealerships.com
    I want to make my website drop a cookie of my logo, so that no matter what site people go on after they have visited my site, my logo appears? Is this possible?

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Don't be so big headed; get over yourself. Your site isn't the be all and end all of the whole internet. If I navigate away from your site that means I don't need reminders of you popping up all over my computer. In fact if I do see that I'm likely to blacklist your site in my proxy (Privoxy) so that even if I do accidentally revisit your site it gets automatically blocked. If I want to remember your site I'll bookmark it.

3. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Banned

Home Page:
    http://www.fentondealerships.com
    thanks for your opinion, but you didn't answer my question...

4. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    I don't care if it's possible. Just don't do it.

5. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

No its not possible unless you install some spyware or stuff like that to do the job for you. Browsers would not allow it in the straight path.

6. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    It would make the web completely unusable if every site you visited dropped a turd on your screen, even if it were a well-meaning turd. You would have to waste time working out how to get rid of it, then spend more time getting rid of each one as and when it appeared. Whoever thought of that as a design for their website needs their internet access revoked.

But if you want your visitors to have an easy way to remember where your site is, just indicate how to bookmark the site, and offer to send emails with site updates and stuff like that (for example on this site you can subscribe to forums and threads and an email can be sent whenever there's an update). Make sure it's friendly and that opt-in and opt-out are both simple to use and work. It does mean you're not in people's faces demanding they visit your site, but again I would have to question who on earth thinks that's a way to do business.