Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   C (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/c/)
-   -   Scrolling Text using X and Y co-ord placement HELP! (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/scrolling-text-using-x-y-co-ord-t904/)

sg57 19Jun2006 04:10

Scrolling Text using X and Y co-ord placement HELP!

Well, im making a 'media player' typething, so the scrolling text in this case will be the title... Meaning its automatically assigned, so it neds to scroll on its own...

Ok, i have enough room for 20 characters to fit until the title will need to scroll... Im having it delay 1/2 second which is used via:

sceKernelDelayThread(250000*2);

This isnt for windows, so thats my delay right there...

Ok, so far ive been thinking how the :eek: im going to do this... so im just guessing here...

(the string is just an example, its actually set to the name...)
Code:

char title[] = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
int titleLength = strlen(title), overChars;
int scrollDistance;
int titleX = 50, titleY = 5;
while (1) {
              printTextScreen(titleX-scrollDistance, titleY, title, RGBA(255,255,255,100));
  if ( titleLength > 20 ) {
                  overChars = titleLength - 20;
                  scrollDistance = overChars * 7;
                  sceKernelDelayThread(250000*2);
}
}

Well... i think this here will print out the title titleX - 42... but i want it to scroll character by character, meaning it will print itout -7, then -7 again, then -7 again, until it reaches 42...

i know a for loop is necessary... could someone help me out on this?

shabbir 19Jun2006 09:50

Re: Scrolling Text using X and Y co-ord placement HELP!

Why dont you pad the string with the blank characters before and after depening on the position where you want to display the title
Code:

printTextScreen("      Title to display    ");
and change it with the spaces as the timer is triggered.

sg57 19Jun2006 10:32

itd be much easier if i could just mess with it via titleX variable... not to mention i want it to scroll 1 character by 1 character...

cant someone make or somehow help me towards just using integers to subtract and mess with the titleX variable to allow it to scroll 1 character at a time, then once it reaches the end/the character before the \0 character is showed, tehn reset it...

cant some math wizzs help me out here?

shabbir 19Jun2006 11:54

Code: C

static int iStart = 0;
static int iPad = 0;
char title[] = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
int titleLength = strlen(title), overChars;
char titleToShow[20];

if(titleLength > 20)
{
    for(int i=iStart;i<20+iStart;i++)
        titleToShow[i] = title[i];
    iStart++;
    titleToShow[i] = '\0';

}
else
{
    // Before padding with spaces
    for(int i=0;i<iPad;i++)
        titleToShow[i] = ' ';
    // Copying the characters
    for(;i<titleLength;i++)
        titleToShow[i] = title[i];
    // After padding with spaces
    for(;i<20;i++)
        titleToShow[i] = ' ';
}

Just this is the handler to the timer where you pad based on the static variable.

sg57 20Jun2006 01:14

Ok, and this will basically return titleToShow, only printing out the first 20 letters...

Ok, maybe i shouldve told you my displaying right now...

I have a little title bar which can hold 14 characters befreoy ou cant see them anymore...

I have it printing the title beneathe the backround, and that title bar is transparent, so it shows up... So i have the title printed, and if it goes underneathe the backround (the length of the title is larger then 14 characters) then i want it to scroll 1 character left, every 1/2 second using the 'sceKernelDelayThrerad(250000*2);' call i stated earlier...

The X co-ordinate is titleX=50 in this case...The title will be: title="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" So isnt there a way to subtract 7 from titleX for every character over 14 in the 'title', then reset it back to titleX = 50 once its finished the second to last character (the \0 is pointless to scroll :P )?

(WHOA... i just said what i want to do... im going to give it a try... but i doubt ill be able to do it, but i cant ry until some programming person better then me helkps me out here...)

P.S. oh and shabbir, if your snippet works for the titleX subtraction (i used dev-c++ and it just printed out 20 chractes) then im sorry, i dont see it

shabbir 20Jun2006 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sg57
(WHOA... i just said what i want to do... im going to give it a try... but i doubt ill be able to do it, but i cant ry until some programming person better then me helkps me out here...)

Give it a try.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sg57
P.S. oh and shabbir, if your snippet works for the titleX subtraction (i used dev-c++ and it just printed out 20 chractes) then im sorry, i dont see it

Can you explain what you meant by I dont see it.

sg57 20Jun2006 22:21

ok, here is my attempt that i think works, but i doubt it...
Code:

int TitleX = 9, titleLength = strlen(TITLE), w, overChars = titleLength-14;
while(1) {
    printTextScreen(TitleX,TitleY, Title, colorOFtitle);
    for(w=titleLength;w>overChars;w--) {
                                        TitleX--;
    }
}

Im just trying to subtract 7 from an integer, every 1/2 second... Thus making text scroll by 7 chars to the left every 1/2 second...

FletcherFregoe 12Mar2011 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sg57 (Post 2805)
Ok, and this will basically return titleToShow, only printing out the first 20 letters...

Ok, maybe i shouldve told you my displaying right now...

I have a little title bar which can hold 14 characters befreoy ou cant see them anymore...

I have it printing the title beneathe the backround, and that title bar is transparent, so it shows up... So i have the title printed, and if it goes underneathe the backround (the length of the title is larger then 14 characters) then i want it to scroll 1 character left, every 1/2 second using the 'sceKernelDelayThrerad(250000*2);' call i stated earlier...

The X co-ordinate is titleX=50 in this case...The title will be: title="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" So isnt there a way to subtract 7 from titleX for every character over 14 in the 'title', then reset it back to titleX = 50 once its finished the second to last character (the \0 is pointless to scroll :P )?