Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.go4expert.com/community/chit-chat/)
-   -   creating folder named "con" (http://www.go4expert.com/community/creating-folder-named-t477/)

coderzone 22Oct2005 05:02

creating folder named "con"
 
An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as "con"

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

Try it out yourself...

einfoway 22Oct2005 15:09

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
hi,

This is not the bug men... You can create the folder with any of the system commands,,,,,

and con is the system command and their are many such commands, dont remember now rest of commands will update you when i get it again ..

:D :D :D :D

Regards
Dharmendra AJwani

pradeep 22Oct2005 15:10

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
Isn't it because it's a DOS device?
It is, "con" is for console, as in the command
Code:

copy con filename.ext
Same reason you can't create folders named 'aux', 'lpt1', 'com1', 'prn' or 'nul' either.

shabbir 22Oct2005 15:17

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by einfoway
hi,

This is not the bug men... You can create the folder with any of the system commands,,,,,

and con is the system command and their are many such commands, dont remember now rest of commands will update you when i get it again ..

:D :D :D :D

Regards
Dharmendra AJwani

Then how can you craete a folder named copy where as copy is also a DOS command. I guess pradeep has a better reason for this.

SATYAN JANA 23Oct2005 12:29

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coderzone
An Indian discovered that nobody can create a folder anywhere named as "con"

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

Try it out yourself...

Hmmm,
there are many more cases....
Try out if you can create a folder named "prn"....

You can not create case sensitive folders too. i.e. if there exists a folder named "abc" then at the same level you can not create another folder named ABC or aBc or ABc ...

shabbir 23Oct2005 12:46

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SATYAN JANA
You can not create case sensitive folders too. i.e. if there exists a folder named "abc" then at the same level you can not create another folder named ABC or aBc or ABc ...

Thats because Win is not case sensitive but not allowing con, prn ... is not acceptable from my point of view.

arbaz.it 25Feb2008 15:09

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
nice one

lead.smart34 26Feb2008 17:31

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
i tried its true

harish714 27Feb2008 09:14

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
really

parvez.yu 10Mar2008 11:28

Re: creating folder named "con"
 
ya con is a command,so no folder can have that name


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:55.