Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Programming (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/programming-forum/)
-   -   Challenge For Programmer (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/challenge-for-programmer-t47/)

alok 26Jul2004 11:39

Challenge For Programmer

Every programmer starts out with a 'Hello World' programme so it is quite fitting that our first challenge is in a similar vein.

The Challenge
To produce the smallest windows executable program that displays Hello World. in a dialog box.

You must submit a compiled windows executable that displays the text string "Hello World." in a dialog box. This is the minimum visual requirement and the program can include any other control or visual element. The winning entry will be the qualifying submission that is the smallest size. You can use any compiled language you are familar with be it c, vb or Logo.

How to submit
To submit your entry, post a reply to this topic attaching your compiled and runable program. It is up to you whether you wish to disclose in your post the method used, the compiled file size or the source code - I will only remove the attachement before I approve the post. So it is up to you to decide if you want other challengers to know how small you have made it or any of your secrets before the challenge ends.

Tips:
scripting languages are not allowed

There are 'notable entry points' available for any entry that fails to win but displays a unique approach.

You can submit as many entries as you wish - obviously only the smallest will be put forward for the final judging - but all will be eligible for the 'notable entry points'

Make sure the text you display matches "Hello World." exactly - Ignore the quotes, same case, and remember the period (full stop).

shabbir 26Jul2004 12:02

Re: Challenge For Programmer

Nice competition but I have a query

The Challenge
To produce the smallest windows executable program that displays Hello World. in a dialog box.

does this mean the smallest code or the screen display as minimum.

If its minimum lines of code
In VB if I just put a Label and written hello world there will be no lines for codes but it will be auto generated.

So if its lines of code please do specify and if its display range please do mention that.

Thanks
Shabbir Bhimani

Amit Ray 26Jul2004 13:06

I guess alok is talking about the size of the executable and not the lines of code. Let me know whether am I right or not. Also, will the size of the compiled object code matter while choosing the winner .... and whether anything else matters for that matter ( apart from the prime objective of course, which is very clear !! )

Amit Ray. :)

What we do is never understood, but only praised and blamed. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

alok 26Jul2004 14:26

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah i like to subit mine it is 6.5 kb.
i have written it in VC++(using MFC)

alok 26Jul2004 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amit Ray
I guess alok is talking about the size of the executable and not the lines of code. Let me know whether am I right or not. Also, will the size of the compiled object code matter while choosing the winner .... and whether anything else matters for that matter ( apart from the prime objective of course, which is very clear !! )

Amit Ray. :)

What we do is never understood, but only praised and blamed. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

yes Mr.Amit you are Abosolutely right i am looking for Most compact Hello World Program.

shabbir 26Jul2004 15:06

So now the question is clearer but I think we should restrict the language also. VB / C / VC++.

I think this should have each language as winner because VB exe is based on lots of DLL which can be a bonus for that user so we should have competition for each language. That will make the competition more exiting. So do mention in your post whats the language used.

Thanks
Shabbir Bhimani

alok 26Jul2004 15:31

Yes Mr. Shabbir you are Right ,
there should Be Winner For Each category
1.VC++ (MFC Based)
2.VC++ (Win32 Api)
3.VB
4.Delphi
5.Other Programming Language

boris 27Jul2004 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok
5.Other Programming Language

I have some scruples about the fifth category. It's necessary to be more concrete.

alok 27Jul2004 16:10

Hain Why Boris Removed his post,
there is winner in each category,don't be shy carry on buddy because till this time there is only one Submission.
is i am going to win ,without being challenged.
come on all programmer

alok 27Jul2004 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by boris
I have some scruples about the fifth category. It's necessary to be more concrete.

So you like to concrete the last Category ok
let me think,....................... :D
the 5th Langauge will be Oracle :D joking.

Yeah Fifth Lanaguge Will be Phython/Java
ok