Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Internet Marketing (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/internet-marketing/)
-   -   Search Engine optimization (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/search-engine-optimization-t42/)

shabbir 25Jul2004 11:04

Search Engine optimization

One of the main reasons a Web page doesn't rank well in Search Engines is because the developer of the page or portal has not concentrated on Search Engine optimization or SEO. Many web developers all round the globe do not focus on making the site Search engine friendly, when they plan to start. What they plan is how the functionality goes in the site and they just start the coding of it. At the end when they are done with all the difficulties and have the site uploaded they find that it does not rank well in Search engines and now they have to concentrate on making the site more Search engine friendly. It’s never too late to start but when they see the amount of code in front of them they don’t feel like doing it or if they do it they just increase the keyword density by methods which are not that effective.

Search engine optimization can be difficult and confusing. Knowing this I decided to put together some tips I realized over the years. This does not cover everything you need to know about optimizing your web pages for the search engines because SEO is a continuous process which just cannot be said as do 1. 2. 3. …. And you will be on top of Search engine.

Following are the list of some of Search engine optimization tips you should follow
  • Search engine spiders "view" information just as non-visual browsers would display the information. So for the sake of increasing the keyword density don’t apply unethical ways like hidden text or something of that type. The spiders can not only detect them but also ban you for using such a kind of act.
  • Don’t repeat words more than three times in the title, Meta keywords or Meta description.
  • Make sure the content in 'P' tags makes sense to the content in the 'H' tags they follow.
  • Use 'ALT' tags on your images, and label your links.
  • Use structural markup, not presentational. if something is a heading, use proper H1/H2/H3/etc, not <font size="+2">
  • Move as much of your presentation as possible to the CSS, making your HTML lighter and rising the content to HTML markup ratio. Now the question comes is what should be the keyword to HTML ratio. It has been suggested that Keyword density must be kept above 5%.
  • Choose good titles for your pages, which include some of the keywords you're keen on being listed under. Make the title sound like English and not Just lines of keywords and keywords in it. Choose a different title for each page if possible.
  • Expand acronyms/abbreviations with ACRONYM and ABBR tags. By doing so, you also add the expanded term to your document, which the search engines can then pick up and index accordingly.
  • Add titles to your links which describes the content of link
HTML:

<A href="contact.html" title="Contact Me about special offers!">Contact</A>

This will help with both accessibility and search engines. Don't waste it with something like "Click here!” which is a waste of tag for making it search engine friendly.
  • Put this as the top
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

and make a small modification to each line that comes up when you parse the page at http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=your url
  • Name the folders or sub domains with keywords if applicable. Do not try playing with URL’s to make it keyword rich.
Use something like

www.example.com/keyword1 if it makes sense.

And try to avoid

www.example.com/keyword1-keyword2-keyword3/ or

www.example.com/keyword1/keyword2/keyword3

Because the users of your website do not like to remember long URLs and you are creating the sites for users and not for Search engines only.
  • Build a sitemap and link to it from footers of all pages in the site. Search Engines always give stress to the word sitemap/Site Map
  • Include a section for "links". Use the page or pages for exchanging links with websites in the same business. Put links on this page and subsequent pages to their home page and ask them to add your home page link to their links page(s).
  • Having good uptime and everything working is very important. Use a Runtime error checking system for databases and dispatch a mail to your inbox whenever there is an error. This helps you to visualize the errors like database down or server down. Also if possible connect your Mailbox to your Mobile device because that helps you attend the errors immediately and track what’s going on.
  • The best policy is not to try "tricking" search engines; for example, don't attempt to get traffic by using a more competitive keyword when you are no where connected with that word. This may for sometime help you get traffic but not customers and you may end up paying for high bandwidth.
  • Lastly the Formula of PR
PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

Where PR(A) is the PageRank of Page A (the one we want to work out).

D is a dampening factor. Nominally this is set to 0.85

PR(T1) is the PageRank of a site pointing to Page A

C(T1) is the number of links off that page

PR(Tn)/C(Tn) means we do that for each page pointing to Page A

Source:

The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine,

Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page,

http://www-db.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

This article is written by Shabbir Bhimani and is posted at www.go4expert.com

If you want to put this article on your site you need to include the above line.

ooen 3Sep2004 13:13

Re: Search Engine optimization

Good summary of SEO. As far as SEO for Google is concerned, this is one of better articles I read recently. It's a good article; I highly recommend.

vikypatil 14Apr2006 10:08

Good article shabbir

shabbir 14Apr2006 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikypatil
Good article shabbir

Thanks.

Balbowa.Rocky 11Jul2006 14:27

Nice article Shabbir, But you forgot to mention one important point - "Running Adsense on Sites".

The tips you have enlisted in your article are just the preliminary steps which will just help to land somewhere in the vast ocean of the sites in the search engines, especially Google. But, if you wish to rank well, rank somewhere near the top rankings in the SERPS, you need to run adsense on your site.

Doesn't matter what is the content on your site, just copy content from somewhere and make your own site and add the adsense script to your pages and earn profits, and see how quickly you reach to the top.

This is not my personal opinion, but the practical fact being experienced in the search industry.

The search engines have totally transformed the definition of "Search Engine Optimization" and scope of "Web Marketing". It will be really smart if we webmaster in the wake of time learn to adapt to the new definitions defined by the search engines themselves. It has been experienced that S.E have been supporting the “Spam” in the SERPs to add up their revenues. Adsense and Adwords are the Google's Revenue Sources.

Hope we could advice such articles for somebody at Google to make them realize what havoc are they creating in our lives.

shabbir 11Jul2006 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balbowa.Rocky
Nice article Shabbir, But you forgot to mention one important point - "Running Adsense on Sites".

Thats not a part of SEO

Quote:

The tips you have enlisted in your article are just the preliminary steps which will just help to land somewhere in the vast ocean of the sites in the search engines, especially Google. But, if you wish to rank well, rank somewhere near the top rankings in the SERPS, you need to run adsense on your site.

Did you read that WMW. The myths like this are most of the time originating from that place.

Quote:

Doesn't matter what is the content on your site, just copy content from somewhere and make your own site and add the adsense script to your pages and earn profits, and see how quickly you reach to the top.

Thats totally not true.

Quote:

This is not my personal opinion, but the practical fact being experienced in the search industry. .

Can you show some concrete proof of what you are speaking.

#.Stylus 19Sep2006 15:13

Great read shabbir. In fact lots of developers tend to go more on graphics, flash, visual representation etc rather than complying to html/xhtml standards. Yes, crawlers love clean coded pages

shabbir 19Sep2006 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by #.Stylus
Great read shabbir. In fact lots of developers tend to go more on graphics, flash, visual representation etc rather than complying to html/xhtml standards. Yes, crawlers love clean coded pages

Yes thats the main reason lots of quality web site does not get natural traffic but need to focus too much on ads to give them traffic.

clocking 23Jul2007 13:39

hi, your article is very nice.
So, do you have source code of google or yahoo about search algorithm?

shabbir 23Jul2007 16:00

Nope. Its just all experimentation and nothing more than that.

clocking 24Jul2007 07:07

thanks so much!
allow you, what different things between Dijstra and other algorithms are ?

shabbir 24Jul2007 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by clocking
thanks so much!
allow you, what different things between Dijstra and other algorithms are ?

All algo does not fall into any one category and why not have your separate thread for each of your query?

pacman1 1Feb2008 13:34

Very good ponits u have made .Very informative.

rv12may 8Jul2009 15:06

Nice tips shabbir, I appreciate your knowledge. Keep it up!

David Michael 9Jul2009 12:34

maybe not directly experiment. . .lets its a process that follows TOS and should be followed accordingly.

yohan 25Aug2009 06:45

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process of improving the volume and quality of traffic of a website on search engines. There are two types of SEO namely On-Page Optimization which deals with the proper use of title tags, meta tags, alt-tags, h1/h2 tags, and keywords while Off-Page Optimization deals with building links.

sachinx 31Aug2009 18:20

Hello dear ..

can U tell me what is clocking..in SEo....

plzz help me .
Thanks

shabbir 31Aug2009 18:34

Its cloaking and not clocking and

Cloaking is a black hat search engine optimization (SEO) technique in which the content presented to the search engine spider is different to that presented to the user's browser.

michaelsm 4Sep2009 17:17

Thanks for the very nice information.

shipra123 22Oct2009 18:27

Great job Shabbir!:D I really appreciate you in-depth knowledge of SEO and the article is really very informative.

seomarketing 23Oct2009 08:48

thanks nice read..

janeyardy 26Oct2009 22:32

This is the most valuable article i had seen so far in my SEO career. Best article with every effective knowledge

babaabbas 27Oct2009 02:04

I liked the article but it was also in the back end, i made a website but the designer never knew much about SEO & i paid him good money for making a site. I do not know how to add these seo adjustments now.

extomas 27Oct2009 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbir (Post 15150)
Nope. Its just all experimentation and nothing more than that.

Correct, Theory doesn't work in SEO, experience is what teach you most.

chathura 31Oct2009 14:23

I agree with Shabbir. I found some blogger templates and apply them to my blog. Then i saw my site went away from my search engine ranking place. I couldn't find it back till i install previous version.

shipra123 16Nov2009 17:42

You rock Shabbir! I really liked the article posted by you. It is really informative and descriptive.

shabbir 16Nov2009 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipra123 (Post 60306)
You rock Shabbir! I really liked the article posted by you. It is really informative and descriptive.

Comments like this really encourages me :D

technica 1Dec2009 17:50

Nice article and well written.

jaikanth123 13Jan2010 15:31

seo means "search engine optimization".it is actually the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a website from which search engines are obtained naturally with out unpaid("it can be logarithmic or organic"). it is opposed with SEM which is a paid inclusion.in SEO there are different kinds of search such as search,including image search,local search and industry specific vertical search engines..which would give a website web presence.
optimizing involves editing its content ad HTML and associated coding to increase specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities.
There are different techniques:
black hat :black hats anticipate that their sites might be banned when the search is over temporarily or permanently it uses text that is hidden,it involves deception.

white hat :white hat produces results that will last a longer time even after the search is over.it confirms the a search engine guide lines and it involves no deception.

the different methods for search engine optimization:
getting indexed:there would be many pages so to identify the pages the indexes are given

preventing crawling: it is used to avoid undesirable content in the search indexes web masters are instructed not to crawl certain files and directories.

increasing prominence:are done to get a web page shown up at the search results.it includes
cross linking between pages of the same website.,writing contents that includes key words,url normalization of web pages\

he Forums at SEO.com are to be used as a place where people can come to learn about search engine optimization trends and techniques. Members should post questions and offer answers to questions about anything relating to the search marketing industry. When posting please observe these basic guidelines…

1. Create new threads in the most relevant category.
2. Including a link in a post is acceptable as long as it is in reference to the information that was posted.
3. Do not post just a link.
4. When referencing an information source on the web please quote part of the source with the link to the source.
5. When referencing things like articles or press releases include a small caption with a link to it and do not post the entire article.
6. Keep all posts relevant to the search marketing industry unless you are posting in the general chat forum.
7. Posting the same posts in multiple threads is not acceptable.
8. This is a friendly forum; do not post personal attacks against other people.
9. Forum spamming will not be tolerated and will result in an immediate ban.
10. Affiliate links are not allowed in signatures or in posts.
11. Do not link to adult sites, gambling sites, hate or illegal sites of any kind in posts or anywhere in your profile.
12. Do not add "fake signature links" to the end of your posts.
13. Self-promotion posts that offer no value to the forum will be deleted with possible infractions given to the offender.
14. Create only one account. Members who have multiple accounts will receive infractions for each account with 2 infractions resulting in a ban.

seo services include:

- Organic Search Engine Optimization
- Reciprocal and one-way Link Building
- Website Content Writing & Optimization
- Corporate Blogging & Social Networking
- Directory Submissions & Bookmarking
- Pay Per Click Mgmt on Google Analytics
- Search Engine Submissions
- Article Syndication & Press Releases

richardjome 4Feb2010 15:36

Hello dear ,
I have a gift related site and want to rank all keywords in USA Google ip. so somebody have some more tips in off page or on page so please give me. I am already doing "link building , directory, blog commenting , classified, forum, social book, press release etc...I am waiting for positive reply.

Thanks
=============

loyo 20Feb2010 21:45

help Keep it up!
It is simple , but it is complete.

IBNSC 3May2010 07:43

thanks for you sharing

Gloria 4May2010 06:24

thanks for you sharing

secockpit 5May2010 19:34

One of the keys to success (generally in life) is being able to break a large task into bite-sized chunks, which you can actually solve.

I guess if you want to SEO a site - that'd be a massive task. Most people don't even know where to start. Others give up because they don't see results quick enough.

My point is this: if you break things down into little tasks, suddenly SEO becomes feasible for anyone -> with that in mind I created SECockpit, a Complete Search Engine Marketing Tool: secockpit.com -> a Tool, which automatically creates SEO Tasks for you to complete everyday.

Check out my Website and tell me what you think!

Jennyty 17May2010 16:30

Great article Shabbir, thanks for posting! I really liked the concise summary you provided… I’m definitely going to have to refer people to what you wrote, it’s a big issue that I deal with constantly.

agraj 17May2010 16:59

much much informative for newcomers in SEO industry.
and very thankful for this all you wrote here, its very simple to understand and excellent information covers.

thanks again.

satyedra pal 20May2010 12:35

By using SEO we can get a good position of our site in SERP(search engine result pages).SEO improve the visitors or traffic or volume of our site.By using SEO we can create more and more Backlinks which plays an important role for increasing website rank and traffic.

jameskerry 15Jun2010 18:42

Good article...Thanks

Eola 16Jun2010 19:30

good article.
For my opinion searching the right keywords is a necessary part in SEO, so you have to choose the best tool for that case.. i don't want to advertise anything, but for example i use semrush and glad with the results...

freebestmovies 18Jun2010 07:45

very good SEO article, specially for who just start learning, it will help