Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   C (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/c/)
-   -   finding prime numbers with c (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/finding-prime-c-t3943/)

stefan1989 19Apr2007 18:25

finding prime numbers with c

hello, im trying to write a program that will find all the prime numbers in a given field. i've been reading forums ad looking at examples, but i cant comprehend it, so i figured it was time to make a post. i don't really know where to start. the only thing i can think of doing is having the program divide every number up to teh max i set by every number and only print the ones that are divisible by 1 and itself. this seems like a very primitive process and i'm wondering if there is an easier way to do it.

DaWei 19Apr2007 18:57

Re: finding prime numbers with c

The first thing you can do is throw away all the even numbers, since they're divisible by 2. Then, look at 3. Cross off every number greater than 3 that is a multiple of 3. Then go to the next number, 5, and cross off every number greater than 5 that is a multiple of 5. You get the picture. Google "Sieve of Eratosthenes."

shabbir 19Apr2007 19:00

You don't need to be dividing up to the max but just finding the remainder upto the n/2 or sqrt of n even will do but to start off you can loop till n/2.

stefan1989 19Apr2007 20:39

I already read the sieve of Eratosthenes and I understand it. My problem is applying it to a c program. I literally started c like 2 days ago lol and have been scouring forums trying to learn more. How do I eliminate all the eve numbers and number divisible by odd numbers with a few lines of code? The only way i can see doing it is writing a line for each number which is insane. Maybe I don't know enough C to tackle this problem.

shabbir 19Apr2007 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan1989
I literally started c like 2 days ago lol and have been scouring forums trying to learn more.

And the problem is also for the type of guy who is 2 days in C. You will realize when you write it.

I will help you with some flow chart type of thing

1. Read the content in to the array
2. Loop through then something like this pseudo code
Code:

for(int i = 2;i<n/2;i++)
{
  if(n % i == 0)
      // n is not prime and set the flag
}
if(flag not set)
  Number is prime

stefan1989 20Apr2007 18:14

Ok, here is what i've got so far

Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>

main()
{
        int i;
        for(int i=2;i<n/2;i++)
        {
          if(n%i==0)
        }
        if(n%i???)  don't know what goes here.  if(i) ?? 
        printf("%d",i);
}

shabbir 20Apr2007 18:22

First you need to learn how to use the loops and ifs. Instead of solving the problem try something like user inputs a number as checks if its greater than 10 or less than 10. and then try to get the numbers till user enters 0 to see if its greater than 10 or not.

Code:

for(int i=2;i<n/2;i++)
{
    if(n%i==0)
}

This as far as I know looks like C but is not C