Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Operating System (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/operating-system-forum/)
-   -   What is the best OS for a web server like youtube's??? (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/os-web-server-youtubes-t26547/)

Nate_JP 22Aug2011 15:16

What is the best OS for a web server like youtube's???

Hi, I am incredibly new to any sort of programming etc, I have to make a server for website.
the site will be very similar to youtube in so much as the server will need to store allot of video content.
I would be very grateful for ANY suggestions, including links
Thank you.

Nate_JP 22Aug2011 15:18

Re: What is the best OS for a web server like youtube's???

PS
I have spent days trying to research this i just can't find specifics that don't involve hiring a company to it for me

Scripting 22Aug2011 16:40

As I understood, you want to make ur own server, then I suggest you to use *NIX (Linux), or maybe MS Windows Server 2003, (casually 2008).

hanleyhansen 22Aug2011 17:42

Youtube uses a custom content management system tweaked to perfection by their own guys. You should check out ostube or phpmotion. Those are two youtube-like cms that might give you what you are looking for.

ali_1 7Sep2011 00:26

how to make sure you are on the right web server ?

Scripting 9Sep2011 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ali_1 (Post 86677)
how to make sure you are on the right web server ?

Use ping command and get the server's IP address and then access the site through that IP address. Cheerz!

ali_1 9Sep2011 23:57

will I be surely on right server by accessing the site through its Ip and will not be redirected else where ?
I think I am hacked from the inside ,lol anyways

mark joshef 30Sep2011 10:34

i suggest you for LINUX ...but it will I be surely on right server by accessing the site through its Ip and will not be redirected else where ?

sushilrai 17Oct2011 15:59

for a web server i suggested you for LINUX ..it is best operating server than another ...

lionaneesh 17Oct2011 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate_JP (Post 86251)
Hi, I am incredibly new to any sort of programming etc, I have to make a server for website.
the site will be very similar to youtube in so much as the server will need to store allot of video content.
I would be very grateful for ANY suggestions, including links
Thank you.

Basically Your need is a GOOD Web-server which can simultaneously handle tons of requests , So OS is only one factor of it!

I would recommend Apache on a Cent - OS or any GOOD linux Distribution which u feel comfortable on!