Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Unix (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/unix/)
-   -   What is Operating System, Kernel and Types of kernels (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/operating-kernel-types-kernels-t24793/)

shabbir 30Jan2011 10:56

Re: What is Operating System, Kernel and Types of kernels

What people say in the link means what they think but definition of Kernel itself suggest that Linux or even Unix is more than kernel and so it should be an OS.

lionaneesh 30Jan2011 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbir (Post 78528)
What people say in the link means what they think but definition of Kernel itself suggest that Linux or even Unix is more than kernel and so it should be an OS.

I agree with shabbir on this...

poornaMoksha 30Jan2011 15:51

Well, this is what Linus (father of Linux) said (taken from wikipedia) :

In the "Notes for linux release 0.01", Torvalds lists the GNU software that is required to run Linux:[11]

Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.[11]

In 1992, he suggested releasing the kernel under the GNU General Public License. He first announced this decision in the release notes of version 0.12.[12] In the middle of December 1992 he published version 0.99 using the GNU GPL.[13]

Linux and GNU developers worked to integrate GNU components with Linux to make a fully-functional and free operating system.[

lionaneesh 30Jan2011 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by poornaMoksha (Post 78539)
Well, this is what Linus (father of Linux) said (taken from wikipedia) :

In the "Notes for linux release 0.01", Torvalds lists the GNU software that is required to run Linux:[11]

Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.[11]

In 1992, he suggested releasing the kernel under the GNU General Public License. He first announced this decision in the release notes of version 0.12.[12] In the middle of December 1992 he published version 0.99 using the GNU GPL.[13]

Linux and GNU developers worked to integrate GNU components with Linux to make a fully-functional and free operating system.[

Nice...
I am totally confused... :sosp::sosp:
But after reading that i have a strong feeling that linux was a kernel and now its a OS after the developers worked on it!!!!

poornaMoksha 30Jan2011 16:13

That is what I am trying to say that the name Linux refers to a kernel while if some extra packages are added over it (which distributions like ubuntu, centOs etc do) then the whole package becomes an operating system. Also, whenever you serach for 'download Linux' you always get results like download ubuntu, download centOS etc as these are Linux(kernel) based OS.

poornaMoksha 30Jan2011 16:21

I think this would technically clear all the doubts that Linux refers to kernel while GNU/Linux refers to OS but in general developers refer Linux as OS(Taken from Wikipedia)

The designation "Linux" was initially used by Torvalds only for the Linux kernel. The kernel was, however, frequently used together with other software, especially that of the GNU project. This quickly became the most popular adoption of GNU software. In June 1994 in GNU's bulletin, Linux was referred to as a "free UNIX clone", and the Debian project began calling its product Debian GNU/Linux. In May 1996, Richard Stallman published the editor Emacs 19.31, in which the type of system was renamed from Linux to Lignux. This spelling was intended to refer specifically to the combination of GNU and Linux, but this was soon abandoned in favor of "GNU/Linux".[16]

This name garnered varying reactions. The GNU and Debian projects use the name, although most developers simply use the term "Linux" to refer to the combination.

lionaneesh 30Jan2011 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by poornaMoksha (Post 78542)
I think this would technically clear all the doubts that Linux refers to kernel while GNU/Linux refers to OS but in general developers refer Linux as OS(Taken from Wikipedia)

The designation "Linux" was initially used by Torvalds only for the Linux kernel. The kernel was, however, frequently used together with other software, especially that of the GNU project. This quickly became the most popular adoption of GNU software. In June 1994 in GNU's bulletin, Linux was referred to as a "free UNIX clone", and the Debian project began calling its product Debian GNU/Linux. In May 1996, Richard Stallman published the editor Emacs 19.31, in which the type of system was renamed from Linux to Lignux. This spelling was intended to refer specifically to the combination of GNU and Linux, but this was soon abandoned in favor of "GNU/Linux".[16]

Thanks for clearing my doubts...

Note : Hey... Avoid multiple posts at once...because this is depreciated according to the forum guidelines could lead to infractions...If you want to add some data in your previous post use the edit button...
I learn t this from several infractions...Hope you can understand in one go!!

Thanks...

shabbir 30Jan2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by poornaMoksha (Post 78539)
Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. [[/I]

This is what I meant. Any kernel is a virtual concept in real examples and as you use Unix it is also not kernel in true sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poornaMoksha (Post 78541)
That is what I am trying to say that the name Linux refers to a kernel while if some extra packages are added over it (which distributions like ubuntu, centOs etc do) then the whole package becomes an operating system. Also, whenever you serach for 'download Linux' you always get results like download ubuntu, download centOS etc as these are Linux(kernel) based OS.

Can be said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionaneesh (Post 78543)

Note : Hey... Avoid multiple posts at once...because this is depreciated according to the forum guidelines could lead to infractions...If you want to add some data in your previous post use the edit button...
I learn t this from several infractions...Hope you can understand in one go!!

Great to see your understanding.

lionaneesh 30Jan2011 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbir (Post 78545)
This is what I meant. Any kernel is a virtual concept in real examples and as you use Unix it is also not kernel in true sense.

Can be said.

Great to see your understanding.

Thanks...Sir...

poornaMoksha 31Jan2011 11:18

Sure lionaneesh, I'll take care of this from now on