Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Ethical hacking Tips (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/ethical-hacking-tutorials/)
-   -   Social Networks - Safe or a Trap? Case Study. (http://www.go4expert.com/articles/social-networks-safe-trap-study-t21209/)

indiansword 9Mar2010 22:59

Re: Social Networks - Safe or a Trap? Case Study.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddie (Post 65409)
great article and well written.

I have always known that third party applications (on forums too) are the most vulnerable to exploits. for the obvious reasons that both the main developer is not working with the third party vendor and updates are far and few between.

my biggest concern with social networking sites is BIG BROTHER.
you are being profiled, categorized and in a nutshell, spied on.

EDIT: 2 months and that facebook exploit still not fixed hahaha
they do not have to touch the application itself, it is xss vulnerability via url and they could put a filter on that

p.s. what kind of idiot tricks people into sending money to his account?
the kind that gets caught. never leave a trail!

it is nearly impossible to steal money via hacking because you have to withdrawl it at some point and thats traceable.
I cant believe someone actually tried this.

Earning money via hacking is not as tough as you are thinking. You said that somehow they will understand who withdrew the money, BUT ACTUALLY, in one other case the I worked, hacker made a DUMMY DRIVING LICENSE. This license was basically fake on some other guys name. Now, this hacker gets money from the victims using western union on this fake name and gets it in cash using this driving license as his identity proof. :)

Toddie 10Mar2010 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by indiansword (Post 65417)
Earning money via hacking is not as tough as you are thinking. You said that somehow they will understand who withdrew the money, BUT ACTUALLY, in one other case the I worked, hacker made a DUMMY DRIVING LICENSE. This license was basically fake on some other guys name. Now, this hacker gets money from the victims using western union on this fake name and gets it in cash using this driving license as his identity proof. :)

yes i am aware of this and i know someone who can make fake license however it is still sophisticated and difficult enough to be not worth the time money and effort.

you can get caught using a fake id as well because you have to use it in person. it is not anonymous if you have to present it in person.

the only way it would be feasible is if you used a new fake id for each transaction. this is definitely not worth it.

because you use it once and someone reports it, and you can get caught in a police sting from using it again. and with todays technology you can be identified from the picture on the license just by running it through a scanner. and you would have to put your real picture on the license to make it useful.

whats the max amount you can get from one transaction from western union? is it worth it?

shabbir 10Mar2010 09:16

In cash you can collect from western union close to 1100 USD or <50k INR

nimesh 13Mar2010 15:46

nice article indiansword
thanks for sharing your experiences and making us aware of such things :D

indiansword 13Mar2010 16:15

thanks man, glad you liked it.

shabbir 2Apr2010 09:12

If you like this this article nominate it for Article of the month - Mar 2010

rajseo 7Apr2010 18:37

Nice information indeed..........

carlmccaine 15Apr2010 11:45

Thank you for that stunningly insightful post. I'm glad to be part of this forum because I'm learning from the members here, this will going to be a big help o n my part. Thanks.

shabbir 16Apr2010 19:44

Vote for this article for Article of the month - Mar 2010

Prateek.sem 29Apr2010 09:37

Social networking is a nice way to communicate with friends and relatives...
but it doesnt mean that we get addicted to it .. like i have seen my friends they all sit on thr PCs for hrs just to check thr scraps and msgs on facebook.

Internet is like superpower it can make smart guy - supersmart & can make fool - superfool