Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Information Technology (http://www.go4expert.com/news/information-technology/)
-   -   Can i use my External hardrive as a OS (http://www.go4expert.com/news/i-external-hardrive-os-t20524/)

Rise 27Dec2009 21:58

Can i use my External hardrive as a OS

I have a realy bad computer 4gb hardrive with a ancient motherboard dont care what it is dont even want to look! It has 256gb ram :embarasse a 1.6ghz single core proscessor :crazy: man this computer sucks, but anyway even with the most basic information on this computer it limits me just having it. I cant add any programs i cant do anything:

I want to know is their anyway that you can use a external hardrive as a operating system instead of using a IDE hardrive or any internal hardrive and use my external hardvie via USB with all uploaded files from my 4gb IDE drive copyed to my external hardvie instead?

So to simplify can i use a external hardrive as the only hardrive

techgeek.in 27Dec2009 23:00

Re: Can i use my External hardrive as a OS

No, u cnt.. u need a configuration which can boot from external storage device like external hard disk and pen drive...

Rise 27Dec2009 23:05

So what your tellming is it wont feed off usb directly it needs to have a IDE OR SATA attacted to it. But isnt their something you can buy that converts a external drive from USB to SATA? If so would that be sufficent enough to use the external drive to be a primary OS

Rise 27Dec2009 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by techgeek.in (Post 62345)
No, u cnt.. u need a configuration which can boot from external storage device like external hard disk and pen drive...

isnt their a convertor that converts a usb to a pin drive as indicated on my forum from my last thread

venami 28Dec2009 06:50

All you need is a bootable hard drive or pen drive. Configure your external hard deive/pen drive using a pen drive bootable OS and then you can use like what you had asked.

Quote:

...dont care what it is dont even want to look! It has 256gb ram a 1.6ghz single core proscessor...
Wow! You have a system with 256GB RAM? :)

Rise 28Dec2009 06:55

Wow! You have a system with 256GB RAM? :)[/quote]

I ment 256kb lol.... sorry typo lol....

techgeek.in 28Dec2009 10:10

256 KB wow!!!!

techgeek.in 28Dec2009 10:11

@Rise
do u have any problem in mentioning "MB" ?

mayjune 28Dec2009 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by techgeek.in (Post 62370)
@Rise
do u have any problem in mentioning "MB" ?

:p lolz

nimesh 28Dec2009 18:41

@Rise: Nice question.

First answer me what OS do you have currently.
And what all things you need to install and run from the external drive.

I have an option but that will use the systems resources only, except the hard drive which is what you require.