Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Ethical hacking (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/ethical-hacking-forum/)
-   -   Need some expert help, if possible (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/expert-help-t18364/)

chuck walker 6Jul2009 00:43

Need some expert help, if possible
 
I paid for a custom piece of software to be made for myself and my company and everything is working fine, however, I can no longer reach the original programmer to get more licensed copies. I do not know the passwords he used on this computer to make my copy registered, so heres the steps I have taken:

copied software from computer A to computer B
copied registry file from A to B
verified passwords and reg key was the same

The problem is that when the software was copied over, the serial number is different from computer A. Any one know where a serial number may be stored so I can manually change it on computer B and HOPE that will allow computer B to have a registered copy?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

SaswatPadhi 6Jul2009 05:59

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
Welcome to G4EF :)

Now, about your issue ... I don't think you will be successful, even if you find where the serial is stored.

What many software do is .. they check a system for the presence of a serial.
If serial is found, they match the serial found with the serial which they generate (usually from PC-specific parameters like OS Version, Processor, Hard drive serial number etc ..).

So, even if you change the serial manually, the software will detect it (most probably). And, will automatically restore it to the correct serial for that PC.

I think you need to hire a reverser, to make a key-gen for you.

Best of luck :)

naimish 6Jul2009 06:40

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
If you can tell software name may be I can help u ;)

SaswatPadhi 6Jul2009 12:46

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naimish (Post 51436)
If you can tell software name may be I can help u ;)

I don't think you can. See what he writes :

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck walker
I paid for a custom piece of software to be made for myself and my company


naimish 6Jul2009 13:20

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
What he means through custom piece of software ?

chuck walker 7Jul2009 06:27

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naimish (Post 51501)
What he means through custom piece of software ?

custom, as in i told the programmer what I need it to do and he created it. From the reporting to the function to the importing leads from our website. It pretty much does everything. Its not "basic" so speak but I think it was back in 02, if im not mistaken, when it was made.

chuck walker 7Jul2009 06:28

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaswatPadhi (Post 51429)
Welcome to G4EF :)

Now, about your issue ... I don't think you will be successful, even if you find where the serial is stored.

What many software do is .. they check a system for the presence of a serial.
If serial is found, they match the serial found with the serial which they generate (usually from PC-specific parameters like OS Version, Processor, Hard drive serial number etc ..).

So, even if you change the serial manually, the software will detect it (most probably). And, will automatically restore it to the correct serial for that PC.

I think you need to hire a reverser, to make a key-gen for you.

Best of luck :)

THANKS! i dont think the software is NEAR that advanced, to be honest. This is such a time consuming process to go thru, step by step. Ive found .ini files that relate to the program, however, some of them are completely blank, to the human eye that is. I may have to dig deeper for a program that can read text that isnt "apparent". im not a complete stand still but im about 80% on the way to giving up.

Hex00010 21Jul2009 22:29

Re: Need some expert help, if possible
 
Hello what would be good idea to do is open the .exe in ollydbg

and scan trace the code look for values where it says you need to change buy this blah blah blah or license is invalid.

it will show u where lines jump at what not and show u the ESP i belive its called and through C-O

check the line and see if it is having a value set to z=1 and if its a JMP and a API targeting it that is set to execute after it stating license then all u would have to mainily jump the .exe to where it shows the real software and just bypassing the license part


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:03.