Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Java (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/java/)
-   -   Whats so great about Java ? (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/whats-java-t17644/)

shabbir 21May2009 12:23

Whats so great about Java ?

I always have a feeling that Java is one of most over rated language and So what I would like to know, is what makes Java so great?

One of the key feature of Java is cross OS Support but I have never seen any industrial application which needs to be working on both and no one I have came across who would work on something which works on neither at bottleneck performance ?

devunion 25May2009 21:33

Re: Whats so great about Java ?

You need to outline scope of projects which you wish to discuss. Mobile, WEB, Desktop? Other advantages advantages can be discussed find in such areas like applications architecture design, documentation and support.

alramesh 25May2009 22:22

Everything is object that's is the beuty of java...One more thing machine independent

devunion 25May2009 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by alramesh (Post 48403)
Everything is object that's is the beuty of java...One more thing machine independent

I can say the same words about Python and Adobe AIR :). What about Java?

shabbir 26May2009 11:47

What do you mean bu Machine independent and do we actually need machine independency. I Havent came across a single PC where my C++ code did not work and I was talking about the software being developed for millions

gkumar 22Jun2009 15:16

Hello, I have just started learning Java (Im a complete noob with Java) for my degree and I was thinking, what is so great about Java?

Initially I thought Java wasn't all that great, just an over rated language that requires the user to download the apropriate software for it to even work. But all the new browsers have it built in allready (as far as I know) and there are no cross browser compatibility issues... When I thought about that, it was like the first sip of a cold beer after a long days work.

So what I would like to know, is what makes Java so great?

What can you do with it that you cant do with other languages?

How heavily suported is it by browsers now?

and finally, could you in theory make a stand alone Java program that you could sell on a CD, and would work on any computer?

Will be good to hear your thoughts
ro0bear

Manojbijnori 6Jul2009 13:13

java is great bcz it is platform independent and portable and it make for internet purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbir (Post 48219)
I always have a feeling that Java is one of most over rated language and So what I would like to know, is what makes Java so great?

One of the key feature of Java is cross OS Support but I have never seen any industrial application which needs to be working on both and no one I have came across who would work on something which works on neither at bottleneck performance ?

naimish 6Jul2009 13:16

Sorry Dude, I am a .NET Guy, but what I have heard about Java is it's platform independent ;)

shabbir 6Jul2009 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manojbijnori (Post 51495)
java is great bcz it is platform independent and portable and it make for internet purpose.

But its never used as far as I can think of

naimish 6Jul2009 13:34

No idea, I can give example as applets :)