Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Ethical hacking (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/ethical-hacking-forum/)
-   -   Ghost (secretly) copy contents of usb? (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/ghost-secretly-copy-contents-usb-t16047/)

wizehawk 3Feb2009 19:08

Ghost (secretly) copy contents of usb?

Everyday our teacher comes into our lecture hall and connects his/her flash drive to a desktop computer (windows xp) that has been set up with a projector.

I can gain admin access temporarily to the computer each day (for 2-3 minutes) after the teacher leaves.

I know the teacher has future class quizes and all on the ppt, is there a way that i can set up a program/script/whatever so that anytime they insert their flash drive, it copies the entire contents of the drive (invisibly) and stores it in a hidden location, so that i can later plug in my flash drive and just copy that folder.

thanks

xpi0t0s 3Feb2009 20:46

Re: Ghost (secretly) copy contents of usb?

And what is your question about _ethical_ hacking?

wizehawk 3Feb2009 20:56

what clasifies as "ethical"?
people can make up a sob story to justify their reasoning and get it answered, i could do the same but im not going to hide my incentive, my incentive is to copy the contents of a flash drive, nothing to hide, no bs about it

xpi0t0s 3Feb2009 21:00

Ethical hacking is where you have permission to do what you want to do. It has nothing to do with making up a sob story, inethical hacking is inethical regardless of the motivation.

wizehawk 3Feb2009 21:01

"ethical" is a very loose term.... so many products are created with "ethical intents" but manufacturers and the general public will know that certain substances are used to other "unethical" purposes
IE: blunt wraps are created for "tobacco" but are used for weed...

so what i ask is something that could help me in my situation, if you reply to me with a suggested solution, it makes no difference to you whether or not i use the software/solution for "unethical purposes" because you are in no way responsible for my use of the solution/software.

again "ethical" is a very loose term, that can be defined by a personal opinion

wizehawk 3Feb2009 21:02

"ethical" is a very loose term.... so many products are created with "ethical intents" but manufacturers and the general public will know that certain substances are used to other "unethical" purposes
IE: blunt wraps are created for "tobacco" but are used for weed...

so what i ask is something that could help me in my situation, if you reply to me with a suggested solution, it makes no difference to you whether or not i use the software/solution for "unethical purposes" because you are in no way responsible for my use of the solution/software.

again "ethical" is a very loose term, that can be defined by a personal opinion

wizehawk 3Feb2009 21:03

i do have explicit permission by the teacher to access the computer, as i am allowed to access the computer so that i can copy the current powerpoints of the day, that would classify as 'ethical access' to the computer

wizehawk 3Feb2009 21:08

take a look at this thread "http://www.go4expert.com/showthread.php?t=12715"
all i have to do is say "i want to do the same thing as the thread poster, but i would like to do it with a simple program that doesnt give any sort of dialog boxes (for convenience) and copies it to a predifined location of my choice (for convenience)"

"i constantly am transferring files between my work and office, i would like to know if there is a way to automatically sync the files on my usb drive with my flash drive with my office computer's "my documents" folder with the files on my usb drive, and then when i go home, have it automatically dump the contents of my usb drive on to "my documents" on my home computer. I am sure there this is possibe, but i have a special condition in which my office computer i do not have admistrative access and have rather limited user access"

see thats ethical :)

xpi0t0s 3Feb2009 21:14

What is it you hope to gain by copying the stick?
If you want to copy the entire USB stick why don't you just ask?

The answer might be yes, but the response to copying the stick without permission might be a revokation of your privileges, and you'd feel a right twit if you got thrown off the computer for secretly copying something you could have copied freely anyway.

> i do have explicit permission by the teacher to access the computer, as i am allowed to access the computer so that i can copy the current powerpoints of the day, that would classify as 'ethical access' to the computer

Permission to access the computer doesn't translate to permission to access her USB stick. There may be personal stuff on that stick as well as the powerpoints. How would you feel if your private data was accessed without your permission?

> "ethical" is a very loose term

No it's not. You either have permission or you don't, there is no middle ground. You don't, therefore what you want to do is not ethical.

xpi0t0s 3Feb2009 21:25

> see thats ethical

No it's not, because you still want to circumvent the fact that you don't have administrative access on the office computer. It requires administrative access to run a program (service) that does stuff like that automatically.
And even if you tweak the description further to make it ethical, the cat's out of the bag with your opening question so no matter how you rephrase it it's still an inethical question.

Also, don't you think she might get suspicious when she sticks her USB drive in and the light on it starts going mental even though she's doing nothing?