Go4Expert

Go4Expert (http://www.go4expert.com/)
-   Web Development (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/web-development-forum/)
-   -   Some helpful hints needed (http://www.go4expert.com/forums/helpful-hints-t15762/)

Novice2009 8Jan2009 21:37

Some helpful hints needed

Hi,

I know very little about computers in general, thats why i searched this site to ask a question.

basicly i want to know if there is a way to identify a user on a discussion forum, just to know who it is.

so, say you are in a forum and you are coming across somebody you think might just be an old user with a new name...and you'd like to know.

can their ip be matched up from their original users posts to the new ones? if so, how would you do this?

thanks

shabbir 8Jan2009 21:51

Re: Some helpful hints needed

There is no full proof way but ip is one of the only unreliable option.

cpulocksmith 9Jan2009 07:47

wouldn't a MAC address be better, if you could some how get it?

shabbir 9Jan2009 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpulocksmith (Post 41257)
wouldn't a MAC address be better, if you could some how get it?

Yes better than IP but I am not sure if we can get that info in web languages

Novice2009 9Jan2009 20:34

k guys, as i said i know nothing. how can i do this, is there software or something in the dos commands?

Novice2009 21Jan2009 21:20

Can somebody answer this question please?

neo_vi 21Jan2009 21:22

Its difficult to do with IP as all others say. Cos, IP's are mostly dynamically allocated. MAC address is an alternate. But MAC spoofing can even be done nowadays with ease.

Novice2009 21Jan2009 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo_vi (Post 41809)
Its difficult to do with IP as all others say. Cos, IP's are mostly dynamically allocated. MAC address is an alternate. But MAC spoofing can even be done nowadays with ease.

mac meaning they would have to be using a mac system? I really havent a clue.

Ok, How would i do it with a MAC adress, first letting me know what one is...lol, and how i would identfy someone and how i would obtain it.

thanks

fourthdimension 21Jan2009 22:09

Just to clarify, you won't be able to do any tracking unless you're an admin/mod, or unless the administrator has enabled public viewing of poster's IP's. All IP's are logged on forums and websites, so with the proper credentials, you can track/ID anyone you want. Without admin/mod privileges, there's not much you can do besides some clever googling.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Novice2009 (Post 41812)
mac meaning they would have to be using a mac system? I really havent a clue.

Ok, How would i do it with a MAC adress, first letting me know what one is...lol, and how i would identfy someone and how i would obtain it.

thanks

The MAC address is just the hardware address, unique to each machine. Somewhat similar to an IP address, only they're not dynamic. Chances are the MAC address won't be logged on the site - many sites don't log much beyond IP address, location, referrer, etc. MAC addresses are mostly logged by routers and switches.

Novice2009 21Jan2009 22:17

Well Im not that admin, and i doubt i could get help getting somebodys adress from the admin...lol

They usually say "put them on ignore"

Ok you mention clever googling, what would that entail?