Total newbie needs some guidence

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by djsleepless, Aug 19, 2008.

1. djsleepless

djsleepless New Member

I have a basic understanding of HTML and have used dreamweaver a bit.

I have a external solid state audio recorder that responds to commands over telnet. The thing is I have to login then type out the messages I want all the time. for example transport=record, transport=stop etc... what i want to do is create a webpage that has got a play stop record button on it that logs on to the the external device (which i normally open up telnet then open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then login=password) I think that this is possible hopefully with HTML but maybe with a different programing language. All i need is guidence and i dont mind going off and studying the language needed or working out how to do it in dreamweaver or whatever.

The webpage should login, send relevent commands to a select I.P. using telnet, more advanced but recive the telnet response.

cheers

sleepless

2. awatson

awatson New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.nexcess.net
    I don't see how this would be possible with just HTML, you'll need a server-side scripting language like perl or PHP. Both allow you to run commands on the command line, so you could probably get this working somehow.

3. djsleepless

djsleepless New Member

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will look into both of them.

regards

Gary