In need of sugestions for a simple C work

Discussion in 'C' started by AnbuRick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    Hey im new around here and i was wondering what was i gonna do for a school project using C (empty projects btw), any1 has any sugestion on what should i do?im just an amateur =P

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Depends on what level of programming you are in and what kind of projects you can handle. Let us know more about it.

3. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    You could try asking at school what sort of stuff you could do. They may have some good ideas.

4. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
  5. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    My school is the shitty kinda school,so asking for help here is kinda outta the option list,i can work with stdio.h,conio.h,string.h,a little with fcntl.h and io.h,i think thats all there is to know about my programming and btw i barely work with void cause i dont get what does it exactly do to help:disappoin

ps: ty for the link xpi0t0s i think i got an idea from that,but if any1 has more sugestions il be more than glad to listen:nice:

6. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    In some languages there is a difference between functions and procedures; the latter do not return values. C doesn't have procedures, only functions, so void is useful to show when a function doesn't return anything. void can also be used to declare a pointer that doesn't point to a specific type, although in C++ the need for this is vastly reduced due to polymorphism.

Have a look through the other threads in the forums to get a handle on what kind of projects others are working on and see if there's anything that takes your fancy.

7. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    ty for the info and the tip,i think i have an idea on what to do now

8. TriG0rZ

TriG0rZ New Member

i did a database system in C, the user would input data, the data would be saved o a file on the harddrive so it wouldnt be lost. Then the user could add, delete, change, modify and more to that data. Print out a recipt and so on. Worked out well got the top marks for it :D

9. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    what code do u use to save a file on the harddrive using C?and what kind of data was it?like anything at all?that seems a pretty good idea.ive still not assigned the type of program it would be cause im still in search of ideas and some coding information

10. TriG0rZ

TriG0rZ New Member

erm shoot cant realy rememer he saving code, was abut of a bugger back then but it saves as a txt file nothing specail. And the data was just smple like: Product Cost total

Ofcourse total would have a forulame saying produc x cost= total and itwould auto put it into that comulmn

11. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Have the school said how you'll be marked for the project?

12. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    The project is like the whole module so it will definetly influence me in the course

13. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Have they said how marks will be assigned? Are there any rules, such as minimum number of lines? For example, why can't you submit - assuming of course that you can't - the following code:
    Code:
    int main()
    {
      printf("Hello world\n");
      return 0;
    }

14. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    there are no rules in the project,i just have to use everything ive learned in the course till now,and if i use something the teacher didnt teach,il have to explain what is it for and stuff like that

15. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    A sudoku solver could be a good choice then. Obviously I don't know what he has covered in the course, but he'll almost certainly have covered input (getting the grid from the user), output (displaying results), loops (you have to loop over rows, columns, and 3x3 boxes), storage (you need a 9x9 array for the sudoku grid and possibly another for the candidates, depending how you implement the data). There's not a lot of scope for structures though, but you could make the 9x9 array an array of structures with elements that represent whether or not that cell is solved, if so what its number is, and if not what the possible candidates are.

The good thing about a sudoku solver is that you can pretty much determine how much work goes into it after the basic candidate management stuff, which is often enough for printed simple/medium level sudokus printed in newspapers. Then if you've got time you can start looking into coding up more advanced techniques such as locked candidates, naked pairs, hidden pairs, X-wing, swordfish and so on.

16. J4M13UK

J4M13UK New Member

PLacement year developing software
    at college a couple of years ago, we had to create a database system, it is a good one to use. not too complex and and with the libraries you are allowd to use, you should be able to do it.

17. TriG0rZ

TriG0rZ New Member

yes i to recall do that to jamie :D

18. AnbuRick

AnbuRick New Member

Student taking a course
    And 2 more good ideas on the list...hmm nice,i think i might go for the sudoku solver,ty all:wacky:

19. aVague

aVague New Member

forex
    Hm, don't focus "project" - thing. Just do a programm, wich makes, for example , all possible sentensec from 5 words (" dog" , calculates, on, the, calculator) - so program result is dog calculates on the calculator , or calculator calculates the dog on, ....other variants )

You can write it with project or without using project ( it depends on how do you want to compilate a programm - whole in a time, or compile parts , then use them as one programm)