Dell XPS 15 Review

Discussion in 'Gadgets Review & Analysis' started by pankaj.sea, Dec 16, 2010.

1. pankaj.sea

pankaj.sea New Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    http://ipankaj.net
    When you are going to pay $900 for a laptop then your mind must be asking for something special. Dell XPS 15 starts from $849 and have almost desktop replicable features. Not only Intel Core i5 processors and NVidia graphics, this laptop also has a full 1080p screen resolution, a Skype-certified HD webcam, floor-thumping speakers, and every wireless technology imaginable. This laptop is fully customizable in every ends before you buy it, so you don’t have to make a noise for a single feature of this laptop. You can chose a processor from Quad Core to Core i7, you can take the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB, you can configure your NVidia graphics card as much you need, so almost you can make this laptop of your dream assembled! In addition to blazing fast performance, the 15-inch model in Dell's revamped premium laptop line sports fantastic JBL speakers and a high-def webcam that makes Skype HD calls--a first for notebooks. The XPS 15 can even play 3D content when you hook it up to a compatible TV.

Design

[​IMG]

The Dell XPS 15 sports a matte silver anodized aluminium lid that doesn't pick up fingerprints, so you don’t have to wash it with clothes again and again ;). The dark brushed aluminum deck on the inside of the machine and the diamond-cut, silver trim that surround the keyboard and touchpad look more modern. The JBL speakers, which sit on either side of the keyboard, have a unique pattern that reminds you just how powerful they are. But, overall, the design comes off more corporate than consumer. At 1.3 by 14.7 by 10.6 inches (HWD) and 6.3 pounds, it's thicker than its peers and noticeably heavier than other laptops such as Samsung R580-JBB2 (5.4 pounds) and Acer Aspire AS5820T-5951 (5.2 pounds) but they are not so powerful in features like XPS 15.

Hardware Specifications

At the front of the laptop, you will get a SD card slot, on the right side there is a DVD-Blueray disk drive, two headphone jacks, one microphone jack and one USB 2.0 port, at the bottom-back there is nine-cell battery which is slight higher so this gives you some airflow space at the bottom of the laptop. At the back you will get one display port, one HDMI port and one Ethernet port also the charger connector and a USB 3.0 port. In compare to other sides of the laptop, left side has only two components, one USB 3.0 port and another is the fan. This basically helps the laptop to stay cool when you are running heavy applications or games etc. Now here comes the point of the sound, this laptop comes with JBL subwoofer, so this laptop gives you the better sound quality than every laptop you have heard! The subwoofer is placed at the bottom of the laptop and rest two speakers are beside the keyboard. The keyboard is totally backlit and also it has three touch hotkeys, which helps you to manage various things in very short time. The touch pad of the Dell XPS 15 is almost same larger as Mac Book Pro. One thing I skipped, this laptop also has a great HD camera device which is fully Skype certified and compatible with Skype for HD quality video conferencing etc.

Product Features

Processor: Intel Core i3-370M (2.4 GHz, 2 Core/4 Threads, 3MB Cache) / Core i5-460M (2.53 GHz 2 Core/4 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB Cache)

Display: 15.6 HD (1366x768) WLED display with TrueLife

Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 420M 1 GB with bluetooth

Hard Drive: 500 GB 7200 RPM

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (Works at 1066 MHz for Core i3)

Keyboard: Totally Backlit with three touch keys

Speakers: JBL Speakers with Subwoofer

Optical Devices: Tray Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability

Imaging Devices: HD Camera

Wireless Network Card: Intel WiFi Link 6200 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card

There are also some optional features like Blueray DVD drive, 15.6 FHD (1920x1080) B+RGLED display with TrueLife, 2 GB nVidia GeForce GT 435M graphics with Bluetooth, Intel Core i7-740QM Processor (1.73GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache) processor etc. But if you take these features then the price is also increases with this!

Final Thoughts

This Dell XPS 15 laptop fits better on desks rather on laps, as it has a slight bulky design with 6.5 lbs weight. So this is little heavy than other laptops, but the media features really attractive. With this laptop you can play almost every game like Call of Duty Black Ops or Call of Duty Modern Warefare II etc. The nVidia graphics supports real 3D; hence you will get 3D experience from your laptop. While using the Dell XPS 15, I noticed that the left palm rest and the touchpad both got warm, though not unpleasantly hot. After streaming a video for 15 minutes, I measured the keyboard at a reasonable 90 degrees. However, the touchpad reached 93 degrees, right on the border of what we consider annoying. The bottom of the chassis, which is the warmest part of any notebook, reached 98 degrees. I suggest you to buy a cooler pad too with this laptop, though the cooler fan rumps when it heats up. Also the best feature is USB 3.0 ports, which enables high speed data transfer from your new laptop, it transfers 40 GB data at 3~4 minutes. In my suggestion this laptop is best for those who are planning to buy a laptop for completely office purpose having a work desk. If you have any further information, share it below!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017