Shabbir i need ur help!!!

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by rexose, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rexose

rexose New Member

hey i have gone through a thread over here as it was abt sniffing the ip of chatter in java chat system .so would you help me to guide mah steps in how can i sniff someone ip address in java chat system .please

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I am not the guy who can help in this as I am not an expert in that area.

3. fourthdimension

fourthdimension New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.easygeek.org
    First, is it a direct connection? I'm assuming by the chat system you mean something similar to IM. What OS are you running? If this is all done through a web browser, it you have a very low probability of being able to get their IP. If it's done through a conventional chat window, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.
    Until I know more, I can only give you the general idea of what you need to do. You need to initiate some sort of direct connection between your computers (so that you don't get the IP address of the relay server), perhaps via a file transfer if it's not already a direct connection, then run a network sniffer/monitor such as etherape, which will give you all the IP's your computer is connected to. Watch for the one who's activity spikes while you transfer the file or chat.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. rexose

rexose New Member

thanks for ur suggestion but i was looking for is to sniff the chatters ip in the room spc in java chat room .so without having direct connection is their any alternative solution as the chat site i was reffering doent allow the person to transfer pic or file it allows only public message or im made by java .and i guess this java are really tough to handle as they know the real ip of mine so i use vpn to connect this room.any alternative methoad to sniff ip pleaseeeeeeee

5. fourthdimension

fourthdimension New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.easygeek.org
    Well, if you're all connecting to a public medium, then running a sniffer on your computer will only pick up traffic between your computer and the medium. In order for the sniffer approach to work, you would have to install it on the server that hosts the chat room. There may be a way to fool the site into displaying the IP's if it's written in JS... that would depend on how much you know about javascript injections. I doubt it, though, because most likely that information isn't even seen by the page, but handled by the backend on the server. If that's the case, then there's not much you can do besides break into the backend (aka hack the server). There may be a few loopholes you can use to get their IP's... but it all depends on how the chat room is set up. If you want, PM me the link and I'll tell you if it's possible to find the IP's or not.

6. yasirhs

yasirhs New Member

yes shabbir u r rite