1. Commit yourself to the process.
2. Be patient
3. Ask a lot of questions when hiring an SEO company.
4. Become a student of SEO.
5. Have web analytics in place at the start.
6. Build a great web site.
7. Include a site map page.
8. Make SEO-friendly URLs.
9. Do keyword research at the start of the project.
10. Open up a PPC account.
11. Use a unique and relevant title and meta description on every page.
12. Use your keywords as anchor text when linking internally.
13. Take advantage of the tools the search engines give you.
14. Diversify your traffic sources.