Registry Read and write

newvcproj's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2008
Go4Expert Member
Hi all

I am new in vc++(MFC) and also for this forum.How can i read USB Device name which is connected in USB Port.I know it's information store in registry.But i am not able to do that.Sop plz give me example code..

Plz help me

Thx's in Advance..
shabbir's Avatar, Join Date: Jul 2004
Go4Expert Founder
Search for USBTOR. As I am on Vista and reg is different I cannot tell you the exact location of it.
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir
Search for USBTOR. As I am on Vista and reg is different I cannot tell you the exact location of it.
i am also on vista registry.Problem is not search USBSTOR.Problem is how i show USB device name..So plz if it is possible then give me some example code..

Thx's for reply
Go4Expert Founder
Check out the Friendly Name under some subkeys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Check out the Friendly Name under some subkeys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\
ok can you give some example code to show USB device Name which is currently attached..

Thx's in advane
Go4Expert Founder
I don't have the code But I guess if you have the Name in any key in registry you can get the String from it.
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
I don't have the code But I guess if you have the Name in any key in registry you can get the String from it.

ok i have name of key
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
. Under this key i have found the name of device..

Plz give me code becouse i have no idea about regedit code.Plz help me
Go4Expert Founder
Then Search MSDN for RegOpenKey and related functions.
Go4Expert Member
Quote:
Then Search MSDN for RegOpenKey and related functions.

i have found a artical which is monitor a USB Drive and one option is there for disable.But problem is that when i chose the option of disable then it is Showing disable but when i attched again USB Drive then also showing disable.

This is a link

Code:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/HwDetect.aspx

i want to set the option of Enable also.When i chose the option of enable then USB Drive Show me enable.And i have no idea about that so plz tell help me..