Regarding infinite loop and heap memory

Discussion in 'C' started by SunilC, Sep 25, 2005.

1. SunilC

SunilC New Member

I have couple of questions.

My friend put across this question to me asking whether the following piece of code would result in an infinite loop...
    while(1)
    {
    int i;
    }

I guess it doesnt result in an Infinite loop but instead keeps on getting executed until the entire memory gets exhausted.. Could I please get a validation??

And

Could i get to know what heap memory means?? Does that refer to data segment? (if yes could i plz get to know how size of data segment is determined)??

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

First of all I would like to welcome you to go4expert programming forum
    Code:
    while(1)
    {
      int i;
    }

This will be infinite loop.

It will defintely result in an infinite loop for a simple reason that the variable being declared is removed from the memory when it goes out of scope and so this will not be what you are thinking.

A heap is a specialized tree-based data structure. Its base datatype (used for node keys) must be an ordered set.

Let A and B be nodes of a heap, such that B is a child of A. The heap must then satisfy the following condition (heap property):

key(A) ≥ key(B)

Data segment is something related to compiler as far as I can think of and is not related to heap memory.

3. SATYAN JANA

SATYAN JANA New Member

Programming
    One thing I'll add,-
    There will be memory allocation from stack-memory. The heap memory has nothing to do here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005