question on browser to server connection

Discussion in 'C' started by tommytopple, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tommytopple

tommytopple New Member

Hello people. I am trying to develope a html link that when i click on ym web site will contact my c+ server. In this link i wish to tack on the end a variable like how people do it in php with a ? after the address and before the variable.

I know so far that if my server is running and i type local host into my web browser that it will make a connetion with my server. So the concept is working right. This will only work with my loopback address 127.0.0.1 and local host which are the same thing. If i try to use my ip address for this, it will not work. this is veyr annoying and i dont understand why if my loopback address works why wont my ip. I need to be able to use my ip to finish this concept to fully work.

Ive come to a few conclusions. Either it is a port forwarding problem or i need to use a domain name to do that. I want to do all of this without having to upload a web site, and all. I hear it is possable to type your ip address into a browser and connect with your home server. please help thank you and good bye.

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Are you using an external IP address or an internal one? If you're trying to use the one assigned you by your ISP there's a good chance this is the cause of the problem. Instead use the one assigned you by your router. So for example if I type "ipconfig" in a DOS box I see my router has assigned me the IP address 192.168.1.69. So http://127.0.0.1 and http://192.168.1.69 should both have the same effect.