Yes,I saw some bad reviews too.Some reviews in Amazon.com are very bad...
I quote here 3 bad reviews(refer-- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews)
Quote:
2 &1/2 stars ...This book was written by functional illiterates, June 29, 2007
By Web Boy...
The authors are great PHP programmers, I have no doubt, but terrible writers. I do not recommend this book. Like most bad technical writers, they make a big production about trivial concepts, then gloss over difficult concepts without explaining them in detail.
Quote:
1 star rated by Kevin Tough(Germany)
Well its been on my shelf for a couple years and how I've opened it. I am on page 165 and back to Amazon to search for a book to replace it.The book is outdated. The forum for the book is not well visited. The support code for the book is failing images and some files. The code is written inconsistantly, different authors, and there is no mention of this or proper coding examples. Variables are created on the fly and creates some error messages with uptodate PHP. The explanations of certain things requires several readings sometimes to fill in blanks that a beginner should have explained. The use of CSS is not even mentioned so far and the html does not meet Xhtml standards. We must not forget the book was copyrighted in 2004.
I have purchased "Beginning PHP and MySQL 5" by Jason Gilmore and it seems to be a resonable book but leans more towards a reference text. The search continues...
Namaste,
Kevin Tough
Quote:
Not Worth One Star
By- ininmitable(Vancouver, BC, Canada) (Rated 1 star)
Worst book of all time, sorry guys and gals but whoever wrote and edited this book should buy a book themselves "Learn to Write and Edit by DUMMIES". To many typo's and script errors which did not work!
Actually I would give the book a 5 star rating if they changed the name to Trouble Shooting Script Errors, Test Your Skills!